AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why don't I have an Avg CPC column when doing a keyword search?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am logged into my AdWords Account.  I perform a keyword search and click the get ideas button. I then click on the keywords tab. According to everything I've read there should be a Avg CPC column. There isn't.  I have the following columns: Ave monthly searches, Competition, Suggested bid, Ad impr share, and add to plan.  No Avg CPC and no tab to add columns anywhere.  

Another person asked this question and the answer was to log-in to their AdWords account. I am logged in.  I know this because my username is in the top right corner and if I click on it I have the option to sign off.

Any idea what I an doing wrong?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Why don't I have an Avg CPC column when doing a keyword search?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

the new keyword-planner's avg-cpc column is

available if a (suggested) bid is being analyzed.

for the traffic-estimates and multiply-keyword
features, the bid-form is seen on the first page.

however, for the ad-group features, the bid-form is seen only after
a keyword is added to the ad-group analysis -- by clicking under the
add-to-plan column -- and clicking on the review-estimate under
the right-hand-side plan section of the page.

after a bid is added (either directly or via the bid-range selector) and

get-detailed-estimates is clicked, the avg-cpc column should appear.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi James.
There is no "average CPC" column in the keyword planner. How could there be? Average CPC for what exactly? The data you're getting back isn't by POSITION or quality score so how could Google present that info?

The suggested bid is the best you have to go on but there's no way to give you an accurate average CPC based on just the keyword data. Back in the days before QS and when the auction was, well, an auction, this info would have made sense. Unfortunately, not any more.

Sorry that's not the answer you were looking for.

I suggest that you have a look at the following video to understand why exactly this info doesn't make sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA

Hope that helps.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hi James,

The avg cpc is only available when you look at the keywords you're advertising on in your campaigns and is an actual average. (all costs accrued by that keyword divided by the number of clicks for a certain period)

The keyword tool can't offer you that average cpc because you're most likely not using that keyword (yet).

So as an alternative, you get the suggested bid which is an estimate of what your average cpc could be should you advertise on that keyword, based on some of your settings, including location. It's only an estimation as it can't take into account all your settings, nor can it take into account the quality score your keyword will get since that will depend on how well the keyword (and ad) performs in your account/campaign. And quality score is an important factor for determining your actual cpc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the response Mr. Davis. I am pretty confused now because there are several sites that discuss using the Google Keyword Planner and the Ave CPC for keyword research and even have screen shots of the same report that I have ran. Maybe I did not explain myself correctly. For example these sites:

http://www.ecommercefuel.com/google-keyword-planner-tool/

http://www.advancedwebranking.com/blog/keyword-research-with-google-keyword-planner/

as well as the free video course I am taking on building a passive income online here:

http://makemoneyfromhomelionsclub.com/lesson-2-1-how-to-do-keyword-research-for-free-using-the-googl...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Mr. Davis,

Thank you for your response. I must not be explaining myself correctly. I am attempting to use the Keyword planner for keyword research. I have followed the exact instructions from a free video course I am taking. In addition, there are several websites that have screenshots of the exact steps I just took and they show the Avg. CPC in their results. Here are some examples:

http://www.ppchero.com/googles-keyword-planner-whats-changed-and-is-it-any-good/

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/definitive-guide-using-googles-keyword-planner-tool-keyword-resea...

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

James.

I just did the same example provided int the Search engine Journal article which is from September 17 2013, over a year ago,.

Currently The keyword planner only provides "Suggested Bids" and not the "ave CPC" as it as done in the past.

Current:

keywordplanner.JPG

As Shown in the article for Comparison from Sept 2013 does has Ave CPC, but that is no Longer Available in the NEW Planner.  Only Suggested Bid

keyword planner old.JPG

That should solve your Mystery.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Mr. Gehler for clearing that up. I thought I was doing something wrong.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

the new keyword-planner's avg-cpc column is

available if a (suggested) bid is being analyzed.

for the traffic-estimates and multiply-keyword
features, the bid-form is seen on the first page.

however, for the ad-group features, the bid-form is seen only after
a keyword is added to the ad-group analysis -- by clicking under the
add-to-plan column -- and clicking on the review-estimate under
the right-hand-side plan section of the page.

after a bid is added (either directly or via the bid-range selector) and

get-detailed-estimates is clicked, the avg-cpc column should appear.