AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why does the red marker block the blue marker for my paid ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is the link to my Google+ page.

https://plus.google.com/111487069459889547693/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

I am paying for an Adwords Express ad.  When you perform a typical search, and Google returns both an organic search (almost always) and my paid Ad, the red marker from the organic search result sits on top of the blue marker for the PAID

PAID ad.  The bottom line is my ad doesn't stand out on Google Maps.  I look just like any other organic search result.  I have attached a shot.

Pfeiffer accounting screenshot.png

The red marker overlays the blue marker, making my business indistinguishable from any other.  My business is "B", and if you look very closely, there is the shadow of a blue marker and a tiny blue dot behind the red marker.

This may sound picky, but aren't I paying to "stand out" from the crowd?  Every piece of ad copy Google produces shows the blue pin as a selling point.  Their own support page says that the blue marker will appear even when the organic search results are also returned.  Am I missing something?  Shouldn't the blue marker at least sit on top of the red, making my location and business stand out?  At least that is how I was told it would work.

I am new to Adwords, so I am hoping someone else has some input or can point me in the right direction.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Why does the red marker block the blue marker for my paid ad?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

What you are paying for is the paid ad above the organic search results. It's about more than just the color of the pin on the map. 

One of the advantages of Search Engine Marketing (paid ads) over Search Engine Optimization (organic/unpaid links) is the control that you have over the paid ads. You can change your message, offers, landing pages, etc. instantly with SEM. With SEO, it takes time, far more expertise, and there is no gaurantee that your organic links will show the way you want them to. Furthermore, every time there is a google algorithim update, there's a chance that what used to work to get you listed in the organic links won't work (or work as well) as it did before. As long as your KW matches the query, you have budget, and can win a high enough adrank to show an ad, your ad will keep showing even if something happens to the organic rankings.

All that being said - AdWords Express is a simplified version of adwords. You just don't get as much control with express as you do with a standard/full (whatever we are calling it) adwords account. On the other hand, with so much of the emphasis being on mobile local rankings/results now a days, maybe express in conjunction with adwords may have some advantages(?).

You have some good stuff on your places page. Excellent reviews, all the information (address, hours, phone number) is correct (I assume). That's much more valuable to the overall situation than the color of the location pin, in my opinion. I would think that the reviews and positive customer feedback is a better selling point than the color of the location marker. For whatever it's worth. Smiley Happy

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Why does the red marker block the blue marker for my paid ad?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

What you are paying for is the paid ad above the organic search results. It's about more than just the color of the pin on the map. 

One of the advantages of Search Engine Marketing (paid ads) over Search Engine Optimization (organic/unpaid links) is the control that you have over the paid ads. You can change your message, offers, landing pages, etc. instantly with SEM. With SEO, it takes time, far more expertise, and there is no gaurantee that your organic links will show the way you want them to. Furthermore, every time there is a google algorithim update, there's a chance that what used to work to get you listed in the organic links won't work (or work as well) as it did before. As long as your KW matches the query, you have budget, and can win a high enough adrank to show an ad, your ad will keep showing even if something happens to the organic rankings.

All that being said - AdWords Express is a simplified version of adwords. You just don't get as much control with express as you do with a standard/full (whatever we are calling it) adwords account. On the other hand, with so much of the emphasis being on mobile local rankings/results now a days, maybe express in conjunction with adwords may have some advantages(?).

You have some good stuff on your places page. Excellent reviews, all the information (address, hours, phone number) is correct (I assume). That's much more valuable to the overall situation than the color of the location pin, in my opinion. I would think that the reviews and positive customer feedback is a better selling point than the color of the location marker. For whatever it's worth. Smiley Happy

Tom