AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why does my shopping ad have quotation marks around the title?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created my first shopping ad and it is showing up in google shopping search results.  But, the title of my ad has quotation marks around it.  I don't have quotation marks around my title in my feed that I submitted.  So does anyone know why these quotation marks are showing up around the title in my ad?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camille S
September 2015

Re: Why does my shopping ad have quotation marks around the title?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Camille

You want to try and avoid any special characters within any attributes wherever possible.

To validate whether the quotation marks are within your feed itself, right click on your feed an open in a text editor such as notepad. If the quotation marks are within the file, you can within your Merchant Center dashboard, tell Google to expect the quotation marks. You do so by selecting the Data Feeds option from the left hand side menu, click the settings link under or next to the feed you want to alter, this will take you to a page which shows you target country, feed format and then there is a blue line of text that states "Set Up advanced feed usage settings", click this and then select the radio button for yes under the Use Quoted Fields option.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Camille,
Congratulations on launching your first Shopping Ad!

Feel free to paste a screenshot as that may help diagnose your issue.

My guess is that it's a character encoding issue with your data feed that you submitted to Google. Do you have any special characters and/or symbols in your feed? Also, what file format are submitting?

Google Shopping File Formats - https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160567

Product Feed Specs - https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494?hl=en
Google Shopping Titles & Desc - https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2700371?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for the helpful links.  My feed is a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and I saved it as a text tab delimited.txt file. 

I guess the quotes around the title don't bother anything, but I'm curious why they are only around mine and not other peoples titles. Hey, I just noticed the quotes are also around my description too.  Hmm, this is a mystery.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camille S
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Camille

You want to try and avoid any special characters within any attributes wherever possible.

To validate whether the quotation marks are within your feed itself, right click on your feed an open in a text editor such as notepad. If the quotation marks are within the file, you can within your Merchant Center dashboard, tell Google to expect the quotation marks. You do so by selecting the Data Feeds option from the left hand side menu, click the settings link under or next to the feed you want to alter, this will take you to a page which shows you target country, feed format and then there is a blue line of text that states "Set Up advanced feed usage settings", click this and then select the radio button for yes under the Use Quoted Fields option.

Hope this helps.