Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why do we get charged "up to two clicks per impression"

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why do we get charged "up to two clicks per impression" (why not just one)?

Just noticed the "up to two clicks per impression" on the new extensions terms. Looked back and found that they stick this on us for all adverts. Just seems odd that we can (not always, but can) be charged for two clicks from one advert impression. Reduces the workload for 'clever/cunning' competitors trying to waste our budget (although I know Google have procedures in place to stop scumbag clicks etc.).

PLEASE NOTE 

This isn't something I've noticed from my figures (which are slow to update). This is a Google policy...

Google states that we "won’t be charged for more than two clicks per ad impression". (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375499?hl=en-GB)

So why would we ever be charged for more than one click per impression - not two?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James J
September 2015

Re: Why do we get charged "up to two clicks per impression"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi James,

This policy only applies to Ads displaying Ad Extensions so I'd guess the reasoning behind it is that you're effectively showing multiple potential landing pages with a single impression so should pay for multiple clicks on different elements of the Ad.  A "normal" text Ad has only one link to your landing page but you can have up to six additional links with Sitelinks, maybe a Call extension, a Social interaction and so on, offering many more separate links.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James J
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi James,

This policy only applies to Ads displaying Ad Extensions so I'd guess the reasoning behind it is that you're effectively showing multiple potential landing pages with a single impression so should pay for multiple clicks on different elements of the Ad.  A "normal" text Ad has only one link to your landing page but you can have up to six additional links with Sitelinks, maybe a Call extension, a Social interaction and so on, offering many more separate links.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thought it was for all adverts (though can't find that link now - grr)
But it does also now apply to Google map adverts - http://www.vml.com/news-and-trends/articles/google-maps-introduces-ads
Not really a question that needs answering, but why not charge up to 7 clicks per impression if we're getting up to a total of 7 links to content within our site (up to 6 sitelinks and the main/usual link)?
Thank you for the reply though.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi James, I think it's just Google being generous Smiley Happy  Seriously, while I can understand Google wanting to charge more than once for additional clicks, it wouldn't be fair - or useful to clients - to charge for every click; Google would find pretty quickly that people would stop using the Ad Extensions...

The extra single click may be costly for some advertisers, but consider the cost when a CPC is in double-figures.  A single "normal" click costs you $12, say, but a click on each of your extensions and your Ad could cost you $84?  Impractical, I think, and defeating Google's objective to encourage people to use informative and useful advertising.  If this were the case I'd be removing all my sitelinks from my clients immediately.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
All true, but it's now twice as easy for competitors to bump up my budget.
Still beats any other form of advertising though!