AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why do some Google search results have no ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are a graphic design and communication company, and one of our AdWords keywords is "exhibition".

However, no ads (or very few ads) show up along the side or at the top of the page. Is there a reason for this?

I would love if somebody could point me to an official FAQ or Google page. That way, I could have something to back my explanation to our Executive Director in our next meeting.

I also tried "APPEA", which was another keyword of ours. This didn't trigger any ads either. Just to clarify: I'm not querying as to whether it's not triggering any of OUR ads, I'm curious to know why it doesn't trigger ANY ads at all.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Sar

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author insightdesign
September 2015

Re: Why do some Google search results have no ads?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi InsightDesign,

There might be various reasons for which a Search Query does not trigger any ads on Google Search. Let's have a look at a few of them.

a./ A most evident reason is when advertisers think that the term cannot be associated with commercial intent for which reason no one is interested in bidding on it.

b./ The term might be considered sensitive by Google in which case it would be a violation of policies to display ads. (not your case)

c./ Advertisers might not be interested in bidding on terms associated with very low volume. (Not that Google is interested in showing low volume terms.) It may be the case with APPEA.

d./ Former advertisers might have used the term in an unprofessional way (e.g. by means of vouchers) which deteriorated Google-wide clickthru stats to a high degree. In such cases the system is reluctant to display your ad unless you bid really high which is only accepted rarely and by few. My best guess is that this is the case with EXHIBITION. (Or perhaps a./)

etc.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI Insightdesign

First of all, just to make sure that you use the ad preview and diagnosis tool to look for your ads, as this allows you to preview them without accruing impressions etc.

When you tried the keyword "APPEA" what does the keyword diagnosis say (Hover over the speech bubble and get a breakdown of values for the keyword) Is it possible that it has a low search volume.

Here are a few suggestions (and things to show your boss too) -

Here is an article about getting ads above search results, your boss may find it useful to read this and understand how a bid, quality score and relevance are key to getting your ads up there!

Try using insights for search to get an idea of the best message to deliver, and where you can fit within that market etc.

Also the traffic estimator tool can be another way to predict (or demonstrate to your boss) performance.

I hope that this helps you, good luck with your meeting Smiley Happy

Best Regards

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Sar,

What is the quality score of your keywords for which your ad is not triggering?

As said above, when you hover mouse over the speech bubble of your keyword, it will show you 3 parameters which are:

Expected clickthrough rate: 
Ad relevance:
Landing page experience: 

Are they average, above average or below average?

It is likely that the reason could be below average in your case.

Let us know if this is the case. Due to low ad rank, you might have to work strategically to optimize your keywords and improve their Quality Score.

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author insightdesign
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi InsightDesign,

There might be various reasons for which a Search Query does not trigger any ads on Google Search. Let's have a look at a few of them.

a./ A most evident reason is when advertisers think that the term cannot be associated with commercial intent for which reason no one is interested in bidding on it.

b./ The term might be considered sensitive by Google in which case it would be a violation of policies to display ads. (not your case)

c./ Advertisers might not be interested in bidding on terms associated with very low volume. (Not that Google is interested in showing low volume terms.) It may be the case with APPEA.

d./ Former advertisers might have used the term in an unprofessional way (e.g. by means of vouchers) which deteriorated Google-wide clickthru stats to a high degree. In such cases the system is reluctant to display your ad unless you bid really high which is only accepted rarely and by few. My best guess is that this is the case with EXHIBITION. (Or perhaps a./)

etc.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lakatos,

These are the answers I was looking for....options A and C sound like they're plausible in our situation.

Thanks for those simple explanations. I will use the links from the other posts too. I'm starting to get a grasp on AdWords (not entirely...but more than before!)

From  Hel_ipe's link about low search volumes, am I right in saying that the higher the bid on, say, the word "exhibition", the more likely it is to show up alongside a Google search for "exhibition"? Even though I do understand it would probably be ridiculously expensive.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Yep, that's sort of good thinking.Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

If I understood correctly you are in the same spot as I am so I can only give you this adwise - try a different synonyms, words, change the position ot the words second as first etc. Check that your spelling is correct and the search is in the right engine position  at left side at the section you put your words photos, music, software etc. You can also check at the wikipedia and so on. You can allways as I hope so go to library if you are "nerd" enough. And so on there are much different ways to aim and end up your  goals - Magazines, news papers...good luck!

Sammy78

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Honestly, I do not believe Lakatos' answer actually answers the question.

I have used Adwords over the years and in the past, when one would do a google search on almost any common search term, there would be ads somewhere on the page.

The last couple days, I have been searching around and MOST of my searches have literally ZERO ads on them.

When I say this, I tried both a PC user account on my PC that is both new and one that has been around a while with some history on google.

Neither one would produce ads on very basic searches.

Such as "ebay" and then pretty much any other word.

Or "how to get a car". You would think someone would have thought of that phrase and would have bid on it.

I am under the impression it is two other things:

1. Google will not show ANY ads unless someone bids high on the keyword.
2. Google does not allow much in the area of branded terms (such as ebay).

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Tony, wow, you've dredged up an old topic here...

I think Lakatos' reply was fine and agree with what he's said, but the points you make are also correct to a degree:

1. Google will not show ANY ads unless someone bids high on the keyword.

It's not so much a case of bidding "high" (if you could ever define "high" when bids can range from less than a dollar to over 100) but more a matter of bidding appropriately.  The systems in place - for example Quality Score - are deliberately designed to make the advertising of poor quality terms expensive.  Google's primary objective with AdWords is to provide relevant and useful advertising so where a particular Keyword appears either historically to be unpopular or appears poorly matched to Ads and/or the website right now then Quality Scores become low and bidding on those Keywords becomes more expensive.  

It is therefore true to say that you cannot simply pick any word, pay $0.01 per click and expect the Ad to be shown, that's not how the system works and it's by design.  It is therefore quite understandable how for some words - even, or perhaps especially, very common, very broad terms, there are no Ads shown.

2. Google does not allow much in the area of branded terms (such as ebay).

There are specific restrictions on trademarked terms, but these generally only apply to their use in Ad Copy, not as Keywords.  For the specific example of "ebay" I had no trouble finding terms that produced Ads but in these cases I suspect the Ads were being triggered by broad Keywords for the "other" term, rather than "ebay".  eBay did announce quite recently that they found their general brand advertising to be unprofitable so it's not surprising that more generic terms don't produce Ads, but they do still appear.

Brand name advertising is generally considered to be one of the best for converting sales and it's good practice for any company to have a specific branded Campaign.  But Google does penalise "competitor" advertising so for some brand names if the brand owner isn't themselves advertising then it's again not surprising to find that their competitors are not either.

The simple answer to why there are sometimes no Ads is that advertising based upon that search term has proven unprofitable.  No person in their right mind is going to continue spending money on Ads if that advertising produces a net loss.

Interestingly, we often see comments here along the lines of "... I thought my Ads would be cheap because no one else was advertising..." whereas the reverse is usually true.  If no one else is advertising (assuming the Keyword is not highly specific or unusual) then it's most frequently an indicator that advertising on that Keyword historically has been expensive or ineffective and your Ads are more likely to be expensive than cheap.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the interesting and enlightening answer.

I will try some other keywords to see if I can find better performing words, which don't take a higher bid to actually get them to display.