Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why do I have so many invalid clicks?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

is there any thing I can change to decrease the amount of invalid clicks I am getting? I am receiving a very high amount of them and I don't want them to blow my budget faster!

-thank you for the help Smiley Happy

Natalie

invalid clicks.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why do I have so many invalid clicks?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Natalie,

This report shows the number of invalid clicks for which you have been credited. You don't pay for these. The credit doesn't happen the same day as the click, so they can still use up your daily budget.

You can try looking through your web logs to see if any particular IP address (or addresses) are continually clicking on your ads. If you find any, you can block those addresses from seeing your ad.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
In Addition to what Peterbrado said, You should also know that if you are using Sitelink extension with your ads, it's normal to have many invalid clicks, as if someone quickly clicks on more than one link while viewing an ad, then this gets treated as a duplicate or invalid click and you won't get charged. you will never be charged for more than two clicks per ad impression.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This is the highest percentage of invalid clicks I have ever seen, most days close to 50% ??

I have at most 10-12 % clicks mostly from Display campaigns.

One more advice : try to see if those clicks come from a display campaign and pause it until google investigates the source of that low quality traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have recently blocked a site that I noticed on analytics that was a referral and clicking multiple times

referral 1.png

but that doesn't account for all of the invalid clicks. here is just one months worth of invalid clicks:

invalid clicks 1.png

invalid clicks 2.png

How do I go about getting this issue checked out by a Google representative?

thank you for all of your replies Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have just recently, I think last Wednesday July 16th, was told to set up site link extensions by my Google account manager. so this has been going on way before I set that up.

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Natalie,

Pete and Adrian gave great advice - exclude IP addresses and opt out of the Display network if you don't think the traffic is generating leads. Also, check your 'Geographic' report in the Dimensions tab to see if you should exclude certain locations in your campaign settings. 

There are two filters in place to detect invalid clicks. The first filter detects potential invalid clicks and filters them out before you are ever charged. Your clicks are then analyzed a second time. The second filter will request a credit for any potential invalid activity, which you will see on your Transaction History in your Billing tab. 

You can request a click quality investigation here: http://goo.gl/PGQ27 . However, the Click Quality Team request that advertisers take a look at the Troubleshooting steps here: http://goo.gl/oLKs7 to see if there is a reason for certain types of traffic.

I hope this helps!  

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@RachelM 

Is there a way to corelate the Geographic report with invalid clicks to find out if a certain country or city is generating most of the reported invalid clicks ?

As far as I can see, invalid clicks can be seen only in the Time report and at the campaign levels , it would be very helpful to see them also in the Geographic report, because the column is there, but it is always empty, it reports no data for "Invalid clicks.

This is an example of invalid click rate , that I am seeing for Search :

my_invalid_click_rate.png

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
Hi Adrian,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to view invalid clicks and geographic information in the same table in the Dimensions tab. I agree though, it would be very helpful!

If it doesn't violate any privacy regulations or laws, it might be something that AdWords Engineers are looking into - but we haven't had any communication about such a launch at this time.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok I am still very confused. since I posted this question, the amount of invalid clicks has increased greatly. I have gotten up to 67% invalid clicks one day. I know this isn't costing me, but it is taking away my ad from being seen by actual potential customers. I am at a loss what to do. is there any other feedback that could possibly help me fix this? thank you!

Invalid Clicks new.jpg