AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why display URL and destination URL can be from different domains?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Today while doing an AdWords research, I ran into a situation where the display url of a search ad had a different base domain in comparison to the actual landing page. For example, the display url is www.BusinessABC.com while the final url is www.businessABC1.tru-m.com. I believe this ad should be disapproved based on AdWords policy. However, the ad is running at the moment. Would you please help me to explain this situation? Thank you very much.

Best regards,

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Haley L
March 2016

Re: Why display URL and destination URL can be from different domains?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Haley L

Yes, this is allowed because the tru-m.com domain is used for tracking purposes. I believe tru-m.com belongs to McClatchy, and they are doing a reverse proxy.  A reverse proxy recreates the businessabc.com site exactly, except it changes trackable things like phone numbers, the form being used, etc.  In respect to content and user experience, there should be no difference between the two.   

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Haley L
March 2016

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Haley L

Yes, this is allowed because the tru-m.com domain is used for tracking purposes. I believe tru-m.com belongs to McClatchy, and they are doing a reverse proxy.  A reverse proxy recreates the businessabc.com site exactly, except it changes trackable things like phone numbers, the form being used, etc.  In respect to content and user experience, there should be no difference between the two.   

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Thank you for your help. I'm glad to learn about it.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Haley L

Happy to help. There are a lot of smart people here willing to help, which makes it an excellent place to learn AdWords. I've been doing this for awhile and I still learn new stuff almost everyday here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Haley L, just to clarify, from AdWords Policies, the Display URL domain must match the domain of the final landing page.  So if the display URL is www.example.com/adwords then the page the user lands on must be on the domain example.com.

While @David Kyle is correct that it's allowed to have tracking URLs as part of the "path", it's still the case that the Display and final landing pages must have the same domain.

Are the examples you've given correct?  For example, could it be that you're actually looking at two different sub-domains?  e.g.

www.example.abc.com and

www.other.abc.com

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Jon_Gritton

I thought this was one of the rare exceptions. Because this is a reverse proxy there is no redirecting. It's pulling all the content, images, etc. from businessabc.com, but rests on the service provider's domain which in this case is tru-m.com. Reachlocal used to use rtrk.com, and Marchex still uses calls.net.  Granted, I personally can't recall the last time I've seen one of these being used in such a way, but I thought that's because reverse proxies are kind of an old way of doing things and not very efficient in respect to load time.

I'm pretty sure the example she gave is correct, it's just a matter of is it still an exception to the rule or not?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@David Kyle I'd say from the spirit of the Policy, it's a breach, because surely the spirit is that the domain a user sees on the Ad should be the domain they land upon.  If this were not the case, then the whole idea goes out the window...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Jon_Gritton

I certainly agree with you there. However, I thought this was one of the rare exceptions because the tracking domain being used could affect branding for the client being advertised. If you go to tru-m.com, it's a dead page. Because it's a reverse proxy, someone clicking the ad using the tru-m.com lander will see the exact same thing as if they went to businessabc.com

If it is no longer an exception to the rule, I'm guessing McClatchy has gotten some kind of special pass simply due to how large their organization is and how many clients they have?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know this is an older thread, but just to clarify, this is the correct answer even through the final domain is different.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2643759?hl=en

An example of an allowed redirect is a company, such as an AdWords Authorized Reseller, using proxy pages. Proxy pages are exact copies of live, functioning websites used in place of the original site, for the purpose of isolating advertising traffic from all other website traffic. They are hosted on a separate domain from the original site (and may contain a different business phone number), but because they provide the same user experience as the original site, they are permitted to use the original website as the display URL.

For example:
- Original website: example.com
- Proxy website: example.proxydomain.com

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Like Kalee, I'm aware this is closed but I think a solid answer is in the best interest of the community as Kalee and especially David Kyle are correct.

Our agency still uses this for smaller spend clients because companies like CallRail and WhatConverts, which generally don't use proxy sites, are generally more expensive that vendors leveraging proxy sites like Marchex.

So it seems in the agency world they may be used for smaller clients that aren't spending enough to justify dynamic number insertion and keyword level tracking as an amenity.

I was asked to review an old account so I added in some new expanded text ad copy to test which should be a no brainer.

Then never ended up running after being disapproved for having more than one website in the ad group. The standard text ads that had been running before the addition of expanded text ads to test (and after they were implemented since they were disapproved for a little) had the following (and were approved and being attributed/generating impression/click/conversion volume):

DisplayURL:  mybusiness.com or mybusiness.com/services

DestinationURL:  mybusiness.calltracking.com or mybusiness.calltracking.com/services

I came across this issue because my expanded text ads I was going to test were disapproved out of the gate for more than one domain per ad group.  I assumed it had to do with the proxy URL, but quickly realized the standard text ads were using the proxy URL fine.

It seems to me the problem (in my scenario) is not being able to have both standard and expanded text ads (I don't think pausing them will help, the standard text ads will have to be removed if I even want the expanded text ads to serve a single impression) while also leveraging a proxy site since Google now pulls your domain from the final URL (which has "mybusiness.calltracking.com").

There is no issue with the mismatching if you and/or the [proxy] service you use are authorized, but there do seem to be specific qualifications/prerequisites:

First, we are an official certified ad agency with Premier Google Partners, Google SMB Partner, etc. status.

Second, the vendor apparently has to be a Google Authorized Reseller (for your call tracking, for example)  in order to be able to provide advertisers the ability to use a proxy site on Google.

In the end the best thing you can do is call Google support directly. There are def helpful people here, but I would def not only rely on this forum for your answers. As I mentioned, I don't know all the why's for this particular issue, but I do know what I am and am not able to do.

I always suggest speaking with Google support first to make sure you understand, and then if you need assistance with implementation, tactics and strategy, to reference the board.

It's unfortunate but I see way too many questions that people are relying on that are just answered down right incorrectly.

Get the info from the source, and then feel free to discuss with others your plans or solicit feedback, etc.

I hope everything worked out for you, and more especially anyone referencing this thread in the future.