AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why are my ads extensions not showing up with my ads?

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Why are my ads extensions not showing up with my ads even when my ad is appearing in the top positions?

All the ad extensions you add with your search ads may or may not serve with every impression you get. This is an expected behavior as the system dynamically decides whether to show up your ads with extensions or not, depending on the ad rank, quality as well as depending on the space the system has at that moment to show up an extra line of information (even when your ad might be at the top) and other such constraints. Here are some situations which can affect the serving of your ad extensions and how you can try to fix it:

1) Ad rank

The keyword bids, quality score, quality of ads, landing page experience and past performance history effect that affect the position of your ad, also affect whether your ad extensions can show up. (some extensions only show in ads in the top search results).

Fix: Work on the quality of your ads and bids of your keywords to improve your ad rank and increase the probability of your ad extensions showing up more often

2) Meeting basic requirements for extensions to serve and ensuring policy compliance

Call Extensions

Starting June 2nd, 2015, call extensions with unverified phone numbers will be disapproved unless ownership is verified. So, make sure you have your call extension numbers verified before this policy is enforced, using one of these three methods:

1. Ensure the phone number used in your extension is present on the website featured in your ad. Learn more
  2. Link your Google Webmaster Tools and AdWords accounts. Learn how
  3. Add your unique AdWords conversion tracking code snippet to the landing page featured in your ad. Learn how

Also, note that, if you've enabled call extensions with a Google forwarding number then to show a forwarding number, your call extensions need to get a minimum number of clicks in a four-week period. So, if a GFN is not showing, don’t panic. Just allow it sometime to serve and accrue some clicks.

Sitelink Extensions

1. Make sure your sitelinks are not disapproved for policy reasons. Read the policy here ensure the same.
  2. Make sure you have minimum of 4 sitelink extensions added for them to serve.

Location Extensions

1. Make sure your AdWords account is linked with your GMB (Google My Business) Account
  2. You may have set up filters incorrectly. Make sure the business name you enter while setting up filters is exactly the same as mentioned on your GMB page
  3. Your addresses may not be syncing with Google My Business. Even after 24 hours, if the locations have not synced with your AdWords account, feel free to contact us.
  4. Make sure you have one or more verified local business location address listed on your GMB local page. (Make sure the verified local address is listed on the local page and not brand page)

Callout Extensions

1. Make sure your sitelinks are not disapproved for policy reasons. Read the policy here ensure the same.
  2. Make sure you have minimum of 2 callout extensions added for them to serve.

Review Extensions

2. Review extensions appear on the Google Search Network with desktop and tablet devices only. They won’t appear on Display Network campaigns, or on mobile devices.
  3. At a time, only one review extension can show up with your ad even when you might have added multiple review extensions. Only the first approved review will serve with your ads.

Rest assured, the system tries it’s best to show your ads with the right combination of ad extensions and at any point of time tries to serve the ads with as much more information as possible to get you more clicks, provided all the above mentioned eligibility criteria and policy requirements are met.  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why are my ads extensions not showing up with my ads?

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

thanks - @Mini-CM these types of Google Post should be made as Articles so they have more longevity and easier to reference later.

Re: Why are my ads extensions not showing up with my ads?

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi @Eric Gehler - noted!