AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why are brand terms showing in my search terms report?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not presently bidding on any brand keywords. Why, then, are these keywords showing up in the search term report as well as the "Paid & Organic" reports as "ad shown only" or "both shown?"

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why are brand terms showing in my search terms report?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Search Term Report shows what a user typed into the Google search query and your Ad was triggered.

So if you are seeing Brand related terms, your keyword targeting and negative keyword list are not excluding those terms.

To stop your ad being triggered by terms that you don't want, you must add those terms individually to your Negative Keyword List. If you are getting way too Broad in unrealated search inquiries, then you should either consider a more restrictive keyword match type, or really focus on having a great Negative keyword List.

Most PPC People will add negative keywords daily, weekly, monthly to there campaigns and adgroup to make sure that the relevance is spot on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree that my keyword targeting and negative keyword list are not explicitly excluding those terms, but what would cause the ad to be triggered if I don't have any related keywords? It's not that I don't want my ad to appear on my brand terms, it's that I haven't bid on them, nor anything even close.

As an example, it would be as if all of my keywords were about "gerbil care" and my brand name was Total Wine. What would explain someone searching for "Total Wine" to trigger my ad for gerbil care? Is the destination URL playing a role in what triggers an ad?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Blake,

In campaign settings there is a spot "Keyword matching Options" You can chose to Include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants, Or DO Not include Close variants

Your ads are triggered by the Keyword Terms and Match Type you use choose. Your Brand name display URL etc have nothing to do with triggering an AD.

Your ads In Google Search are triggered usually by keywords ( unless you have Dynamic Search Ads, Google Shopping, PLA.s remarketing etc etc etc. going on.

When you are using Broad match, Phrase match or Broad Match Modifiers along with the setting to Include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants you can get some "wonky" terms at times.

I would focus on building a great Negative keyword list.

To confirm, Your Brand Name, Display URL, Text Ad, Headline etc. DO not trigger of your ad's, only your Keywords or other targeting options DO ( some examples listed above)

Double check your keywords to make sure there isn't a "total Wine" in that list somewhere. (prior paused - deleted) And when you are checking Search Terms Reports - Modify the date ranges as well to compare Day to day, and week to week, so that you didn't forget you changed something a month ago, but looking at data and analyzing that full month.

Hope that helps
Eric G

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Blake;

The issue here is that under a broad match keyword there is an endless list of synonyms.  (I once found that according to Google, YouTube is a synonym to TV). So, sometimes a query  which  seems to be "unrelated" is  matched to a keyword, because of a synonym (of the KW), 

One technique  to avoid that, is  as Eric suggested, to add negative keywords.

Another - as many advertisers do - is to avoid the "classic broad match", and use only BMM, which includes closed variant, but no synonyms. 

I, personally, stopped using the "classic broad" years ago. I use it only in niche fields, (e.g. Engineering services...)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’