AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why are all ads pausing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I attempt to pause a single ad within an ad group, it is pausing ALL of the ads within that ad group. Any ideas on why and what I can do to fix this?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Katie C
September 2015

Re: Why are all ads pausing?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Katie, unfortunately, shared Ads are only actually a single Ad, although they can appear in multiple Groups; if you check you'll see the same Ad in each Group has the same ID, so if you pause one you're pausing all instances of that Ad (since it is only one Ad).

So, if you want to pause just one Ad in a shared list for one particular Group, the only way to do it is actually pause the entire list for that Group (and only that Group - you can do this in the Shared Ads interface) and then add the Ads you want to continue running manually.

Does that make sense?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the AdWords Community!

When you try to pause your Ad, make sure that the checkbox next to the Ad you want to pause is checked and that it is the only checkbox checked.  I'm guessing the reason that they're all pausing is that you have multiple checkboxes checked.  

Also, and I'm sure you've done this already, but make sure you that you have multiple active, approved Ads in the Ad Group in which you're working.

Hopefully this helps!

Pause or Resume AdWords Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the warm welcome! Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the cause of my problem. I did not set up this campaign and am taking over for someone else, so perhaps it is the way the account was set up. When I attempt to pause a single ad, I get this message: This action can affect more than one ad for ad group "Smoke - Restoration".
You have chosen to change the status of a list in an ad group. This action affects all ads in that list for the selected ad group(s).

I'm not sure how to make it so a single ad is paused rather than the group within that ad group? Any suggestions?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Katie, are the Ads a shared List?  Check the "Shared Library" link in the left hand menu, then "Ads" and you may see a list of Ads shared with multiple Groups.  If they're shared you should also see the list name in blue to the bottom right of the Ads themselves.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wonderful, thank you! That is the problem. Now, is there a way to simply pause an individual ad within a shared list or do I have to delete it? I appreciate your help.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Katie C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Katie, unfortunately, shared Ads are only actually a single Ad, although they can appear in multiple Groups; if you check you'll see the same Ad in each Group has the same ID, so if you pause one you're pausing all instances of that Ad (since it is only one Ad).

So, if you want to pause just one Ad in a shared list for one particular Group, the only way to do it is actually pause the entire list for that Group (and only that Group - you can do this in the Shared Ads interface) and then add the Ads you want to continue running manually.

Does that make sense?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It does make sense. Thank you very much for the clarification!