AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Which languages use double width characters?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am preparing a global campaign for a client of mine and I was wondering whether there is a list of all the languages that are double width for use in adwords (as these languages have a reduced character limitation).

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Which languages use double width characters?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

If you are targeting Eastern Europe and Asia, longer text ads are allowed and the character limit is different. Find more details about character limit and the countries where this is allowed here:-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704441?ctx=tltp

Pankaj

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi @Augusto d

You would be looking at Simplified & Traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

These are all double width character languages.

See here for more details - https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6021630?hl=en-GB

If this or an alternative post has provided you the answer you require, "please accept as solution" to further assist and direct others.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

many thanks for the prompt reply!

I did have a look at that link, but I was wondering whether other languages such as Indonesian and Arabic are double-width or not. The link you sent me mentions 'Double-width languages are languages that use double-width characters, like Chinese, Japanese and Korean.' and what made me think twice is the use of the word 'like' which opens the possibility of there being other languages that fall under that category.

Cheers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

many thanks for your reply as well!

I saw that possibility and will definitely take that into consideration, but I would find it very useful to know beforehand what languages use the double width characters.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why do you half the number of characters for double-digit scripts?  It's very difficult to write a meaningful ad with half the characters...?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'double-digit scripts'. Would you be able to elaborate?

Half the characters doesn't mean half the words. What you say would be true for latin and germanic based languages, but not for Japanese or Korean where one character is not the same as one letter in English. One character in Japanese can represent a whole word.

It is a Google Ad regulation that double width character languages have half the character limit as single width languages.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I mean scripts (languages) that Google Adswords classifies as 'double-digit', halving the character limit. Nepali, Sinhalese, Bangladeshi etc. all seem to fall into that category, but need as many characters as English or Spanish to write a meaningful ad. Cheers.