AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Which keywords do you pay for with the broad match?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am wondering, if when i put broad match on the word 'onlineauktion' (pretty cheap word) and then the ad shows on a search 'auktion' (way more expensive word) , is it going to charge for 'auktion' or 'onlineauktion' ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Veronicca P
September 2015

Re: Which keywords do you pay for with the broad match?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Veronica.

Unfortunately, I'll have to correct Virendra. You will never be charged more than your bid if you use manual bidding.

If you use automatic bidding though, then the system will choose its bids in each auction, with the goal of bringing you most clicks for a defined budget.

If you use Enhanced CPC bidding though, then the system may go up to over 30% of your bid, in cases where it thinks it is more likely to lead to a conversion.

The 20% percent is a number which has to do with the daily budget. This one may be exceeded by up to 20% in some days (when the system can get you more clicks), but it will never exceed, within a month, 30.4 times your daily budget.

As for what you get charged for, the mechanism is the following: you have a bid and a quality score of a keyword. If that keyword matches a search term, your keyword takes part in an auction. If your ad rank is high enough, what you pay is just enough to beat your competition (see this video for more on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA&ab_channel=GoogleSmallBusiness ).

What may happen though, if you don't bid high enough, is that your onlineauktion keyword will not rank high enough to show for auktion.

Long story short, you pay for a click for a search term, triggered by a keyword, if your ad rank is high enough. And the cost will be under your max. CPC if you use manual bidding.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You're welcome, Veronica.

I would definitely try manual bidding, not auto bidding, because CPCs can raise a lot when auto-bidding.

I know that in theory "getting the most clicks for a set budget" may sound appealing, but if your match types are not the tightest, your ads not the most relevant, then the system will try to bid high enough to compensate for a poor quality score of that keyword.

And I think you'd be happier to see things such as "you need this much for the first page or this much for the top of the page".
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Veronicca P,

Welcome to the Adwords community. You will be charged for auktion word which is the part of onlineauktion word but charges won't be higher than your bid (20% plus minus).
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Veronica.

Unfortunately, I'll have to correct Virendra. You will never be charged more than your bid if you use manual bidding.

If you use automatic bidding though, then the system will choose its bids in each auction, with the goal of bringing you most clicks for a defined budget.

If you use Enhanced CPC bidding though, then the system may go up to over 30% of your bid, in cases where it thinks it is more likely to lead to a conversion.

The 20% percent is a number which has to do with the daily budget. This one may be exceeded by up to 20% in some days (when the system can get you more clicks), but it will never exceed, within a month, 30.4 times your daily budget.

As for what you get charged for, the mechanism is the following: you have a bid and a quality score of a keyword. If that keyword matches a search term, your keyword takes part in an auction. If your ad rank is high enough, what you pay is just enough to beat your competition (see this video for more on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA&ab_channel=GoogleSmallBusiness ).

What may happen though, if you don't bid high enough, is that your onlineauktion keyword will not rank high enough to show for auktion.

Long story short, you pay for a click for a search term, triggered by a keyword, if your ad rank is high enough. And the cost will be under your max. CPC if you use manual bidding.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank You for the fast and very well explained reply. I am just launching my first Ads, so i am very green. I have general confusion when it comes to how Google will charge me. But your reply clears some things out.
Also i put all my CPC to auto as i am still not sure how the keywords will perform and if it is going to be worth it.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for the reply Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You're welcome, Veronica.

I would definitely try manual bidding, not auto bidding, because CPCs can raise a lot when auto-bidding.

I know that in theory "getting the most clicks for a set budget" may sound appealing, but if your match types are not the tightest, your ads not the most relevant, then the system will try to bid high enough to compensate for a poor quality score of that keyword.

And I think you'd be happier to see things such as "you need this much for the first page or this much for the top of the page".

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for the advice, would you recommend that i use the bid suggested from the Keyword Planner?

Best Regards,
Veronika Popova

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
You're welcome, Veronicca.

That depends on your budget and goals.

There are two important columns available on the keywords tab. One is the estimated first page bid and the other one is the estimated top page bid. Check them out, start with a bid that puts you on the first page and work your way up from there.

However, in any of these situations, first make sure that your ads are relevant for your keywords and that you're using all available ad extensions. You shouldn't pay for clicks, in my opinion, until you've made sure you made everything you can in order to pay as little as possible for your future clicks.