AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Where to edit Targeting Settings for Display Network Keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've set up a couple of new GDN campaigns that makes use of Topic Targeting AND Keyword Targeting. I can set my Topic Targeting to "Target and Bid" just fine but I can't seem to find the option for me to set my display keywords as Target and Bid so on my reports they only show up as "Bid Only" which I don't want. I looked at the Google Help Page here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?ctx=tltp&authuser=1 but it didn't help. 

Things to note: 

When setting up the campaigns I added keywords separately and then added a Topic-Targeting layer on top of that. I did not include another Display Keyword layer to my targeting because I thought that would be redundant.

Any ideas? Bid Only Targeting.jpg

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Not sure I fully understand the scenario here; 

Bid only is available only when you add another targeting method (e.g add topics to keywords)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So I shouldn't worry about the status of my keywords being set to "Bid Only" instead of "Bid and Target"? As long as I've added another targeting method such as Topics, my campaigns will be displaying ads only where I specify? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Let me figure;

You first added keywords;

Then you added Topics as an additional targeting method. After adding topics you should see at the bottom the option to check target and bid.  The Venn diagram at the side should show that. Is this the case?.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Moshe, 

The only targeting method I've currently applied to my keywords is Topics. After adding topics I noticed all my keywords were listed as "Bid Only". I tinkered around with it some more and I added an additional targeting layer though in the form of Display Keywords. From there, I saw that that made the Targeting Setting status change to "Target and Bid" which is what I wanted in the first place. 

Now my question becomes, are the usual keywords you add to your adgroups different from the keywords under "Display Keywords" on the Targeting settings page? Additionally, would there be a way to edit all my keywords in bulk so that they were all set to Target and Bid?

adwords screenshot.jpg

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

The keywords under display keywords are the keywords you added to the adgroups.  8-15 would do. You don't need more per ad-group.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Would you know if there is a way to apply Display Keyword targeting to all my adgroup keywords in bulk? I want to be able to change all of my existing targeting settings to "Target and Bid" without having to do it manually.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I am not familiar with a bulk edit for this setting.

Re: Where to edit Targeting Settings for Display Network Keywords?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hey @Angeli V, Now the target & bid is only available at the Topics, Interest, Placements & Gender level.

So, you can not use target & bid at the keywords level. It is by default "Bid Only".

But you can use the "Keywords Setting" to control the irrelevant placement. Under Keywords setting, I would suggest you to use "Content" option.

If you want to change the Target & Bid to Bid Only & vice versa, you can use the AdWords Editor. Click on the Targeting e.g Topics, Audiences etc. Where you will see the "Edit Ad Group Flexible Reach". Then you will see the option to change Target & bid only to Bid Only & Vice Versa.

ADE Fliexible Reach.PNGFirst Step

Flexible Reach.PNG2nd Step

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Where to edit Targeting Settings for Display Network Keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So, you can not use target & bid at the keywords level. It is by default "Bid Only".

I don't we're on the same page. I was able to get the result I wanted -- that is the keywords having "Target and Bid" under their targeting settings. (See screenshot). I was able to do this by going to Display Network > + Targeting > adding a new Display Keyword targeting layer. 

I want to be able to do that in bulk though on AdWords Editor. Is this possible? 

adwords screenshot.jpg