AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Where have our ads gone?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our Google Adwords campaing was runing well for a couple of years but suddently our ads have virtually stopped appearing - has anyone any ideas to help.  I'm not very experienced in running the campaigns but:

Today I have changed the cpc to £5 for a trial period (although most of our clicks cost around 20p) 
How long should it take for this cpc chage to take effect - is it usually virtually immediate?
Our current daily budget is about £15 - would this affect how often the ads are shown?
I did see 1 of our ads appear at the bottom of the page in the Sponsored area but it had a phone symbol next to it.  I haven't enabled the phone and don't want it - how would I get rid of this?

Any help or advice would be appreciated for a novice !

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Where have our ads gone?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Suzanne G and welcome,

I believe your main concern is that ads are not appearing the way they used to be in the past. Let us know if that's not the case.

When you hover mouse over the speech bubble of individual keyword, what does it say? Does it say ad running or not?

Also, when you make the changes in your account in terms of bidding, ads etc... they are reflected immediately and your ad auction then depends upon your current bid which you have. Only thing is that Adwords interface reporting is not real time and there could be delay in what stats you see.

There are different scenarios how your daily budget changes are affected in Adwords. Read this reference for more details:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375420

Did you implement any call extensions in your campaigns? If yes, then there is a possibility that the phone extension is visible with your ad copy.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It'snot that the the ads aren't apopearing as before - they are not appearing ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry - when you say hover over the speech bubble of individual keyword - what page are you on here?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Suzanna,

Go to the "Keywod Tab" in order to see the speech bubbles :-)

Cheers,

Asaf

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Suzanne G,

Are you searching on Google to find your ad? Don't do that! Use the Ad Preview and Diagnostic tool instead. Is AdWords reporting no impressions?

With a daily budget of £15 ;and a CPC bid of £5, you could be severely limiting the number of impressions your ad will get. If most of your clicks cost around 20p, I don't think I would bid any more than 50p. £5 is a lot to pay for a click, and probably more than would be profitable for you. Never bid more for a keyword than you are actually willing to pay just to get a better AdRank. You might have to actually pay that amount.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply. 

My max bid up till this Saturday was 30p, so I had raised them to £5 just for an experiment but it didn't seem to make any difference. 

I have decided to pause all campaigns until I have received professional advice as I feel I have tinkered with Adwords too long, without really understanding what I am doing.  Hopefully after tomorrow I will have a clearer picture and a more successful campaign.  If that fails I'll go back to Yellow Pages and ads on shop windows!

Appreciate your help 

Regards

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Suzanne, I think it's a good idea to seek some professional advice.  With good advice the costs of such could be recovered very rapidly in improved performance.

I would just caution that you should be careful in whom you seek this advice.  While there are many fine and experienced consultants out there, there are also companies that don't work to the best benefit of all customers.  If you find someone offering what appears to be a good deal, why not run it past us here first to see if we agree?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your advice re caution - very fortunately we have a friend who works full time in marketing with google so he has very kindly offered to help set us up from scratch again.  I think a lot of the problems have been caused by me not keeping a watchful eye on what was going on.

Thanks to all for your advice !

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Thanks for this.
Apart from slanting the keyword slant a bit what are the disadvantages of searching for our ad using Google?