AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Where exactly *is* the privacy policy rule?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've heard repeatedly that Adwords requires a website to have a privacy policy.  Furthermore, I've heard that there are specific requirements.  But digging through the help center, I can't find a thing about it.

Starting at this URL:

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy

Click on 'policy index'.  That gives every single policy.  The only chapters that appear to be vaguely relevant are "information harvesting" and "personal information."  Neither says anything about the privacy policy.

Is there really a written requirement that there has to be a privacy policy?  Is this a written rule, or is it just communicated through oral tradition?  Is there really a set of specific requirements?  If so, where are they?

Google search turns up nothing.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Where exactly *is* the privacy policy rule?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jyelon,

No the policy is located here:  http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=1310865&guide=1308231&page=guide.c...

Privacy Policy is a general term for a document that holds privacy information. Whether or not is says specifically that you need to have a document that is labeled 'privacy policy' or not, I'm not sure about that but the Google policy itself is quite clear. 

"Information Collection and Use
Advertisers must clearly disclose and obtain consent for the collection and use of user information."

Whether you put that information in a 'Privacy Policy' or some other document, it must be clear and easily findable.

Seriously, Google doesn't ban people for not reading a blog post - they ban people for not abiding by policy.

If someone is collecting user information and isn't transparent, they will have their landing page disapproved and perhaps banned, as you put it.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jyelon,

Here is the announcement:  http://adwords.blogspot.com/2011/05/upcoming-adwords-policy-changes-to.html

It's a function of transparency, if you're collecting user information, you clearly need to explain why and what your plans are with that information.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That's a blog post from May of last year.  Is that *really* the only place that the policy is stated?

Seriously, they'd ban people for not having read an old blog post?  Wow.  Just wow.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jyelon,

No the policy is located here:  http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=1310865&guide=1308231&page=guide.c...

Privacy Policy is a general term for a document that holds privacy information. Whether or not is says specifically that you need to have a document that is labeled 'privacy policy' or not, I'm not sure about that but the Google policy itself is quite clear. 

"Information Collection and Use
Advertisers must clearly disclose and obtain consent for the collection and use of user information."

Whether you put that information in a 'Privacy Policy' or some other document, it must be clear and easily findable.

Seriously, Google doesn't ban people for not reading a blog post - they ban people for not abiding by policy.

If someone is collecting user information and isn't transparent, they will have their landing page disapproved and perhaps banned, as you put it.

-Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Impressive.

If you click the link labeled "Transparency and Privacy" at the *top* of the page, it will show you that text.  But if you click the link labeled "Transparency and Privacy" in the *middle* of the page, it won't.  That text appears to be the *only* mention of the privacy policy rule.  It's only visible if you click the right copy of the link.  And, that text is not in the policy index.

Again, Wow.  Just freaking wow.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

FYI, I just filed a request asking the help center authors to look at this page and clean up the bug you found, plus any others they see.

Laura

AdWords engineer

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 8
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Thank you, Laura.
Zee
G+

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I realize this question has been asked a while ago. It seems to me though that it can be answered better and the link of the AdWords Accepted Solution points to a "Page Not Available". 

1. The rule for a privacy policy to be in place is first and foremost a requirement set forth by Google. Many Google services have a requirement for a privacy policy in their terms. I can't find one for AdWords, but there's a requirement for it to be in place when you use one of the following AdWords features.
  2. A privacy policy needs to be in place in most countries when your website has a commercial activity element to it and when it collects personal information about your visitors, which for the sake of simplicity, is almost always the case.
  3. To add to @PPCBossman's answer, a privacy policy is a document that *discloses* your data collection practices to your visitors & in most countries a privacy policy must be easily found, such as in the footer of the site, not buried elsewhere.

Edit: made some changes requested by @John Paul.

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting on our forum. However you are not allowed to promote any products or services here as it is against the Community guidelines. In order to protect your personal privacy, we advise you to remove any contact info (Ex: websites, emails or phone numbers) from the post. You can remove it by using the Edit Message button in the upper right corner of the text box. If your contact info has not been removed by you, a Community Manager may remove it within a day of the posted date.

*Avoid self-promotion
This user-to-user community is not intended as a place for members to solicit business by promoting their products or services, even if they are AdWords-related. (Your profile is your dedicated space to include any information you wish to share with others, so feel free to use it.) Please don’t create posts that solicit business or use a signature as a means of promoting your business.