AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Where does the keyword tool gets its suggestions from ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I entered the  root url to the keyword tool and got results for the shop we closed down 6 months ago !

( the shop is not live anymore, and removed via WMT !)

We pauzed the campaigns for the shop 6 months ago, and now we even deleted all campaigns that could have anything to do with the shop  (yesterday) but we still get those shop items as suggestions.( and not the theme related keywords for the actual live website !)

Although the helpdesk told me this would not influence the quality scores I do have serious doubts about it. ( The account is having mostly QS 3 keywords ( all 3 items: average, CTR 3%) and 1  QS10 (brand name)  with also all 3 items : average, and a CTR 4% !)

If the keyword tool is looking at the live website we have some serious unidentified problem with how Google looks at our website, (remember all shopping urls are gone, and not showing in the SERPS anymore) and if if looks at a database, it seems it doesn't refresh that database frequently (or even at all ! )

Who can shine a light on this ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Where does the keyword tool gets its suggestions from ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi marketsharer, haven't seen you for a while, been busy?

To be honest, I don't know the answer to this one so unless someone else can provide a verified solution I'll have to dig out a tame Google engineer who may be prepared to answer.  I don't think it's anything as simple as an out of date database.  As luck would have it I've got a new website that's not yet been indexed by Google at all (it was only "released" yesterday and I haven't created a WMT account or submitted a sitemap yet) and on entering the URL of that site the Keyword tool has presented me with a set of perfectly relevant terms for that site copy.

So, it would seem that at least under some circumstances the Keyword tool is doing a live poll of the site - as far as I'm aware this site is not indexed anywhere yet.

How certain are you that the site content has truly been removed from the index?  What happens when you run a site:www.domain.com search on Google?  Is there a new site on that URL now, is it indexed fully?  Has it a sitemap?

If I was going to build this I'd probably try to minimise the number of "live" pulls by referring to cached data if it looks like nothing has changed.

Odd, but interesting...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jon,

(buzy, and some of those hang-outs I participate in, do take up quite a bit spare time Smiley Happy

Thank you for investigating  it a step deeper.

The shop was removed completely, there is a new site with different content, and 48 out of 50 pages from the sitemap are indexed.

Re-checked the site:query.  It starts with 16.200 results found, but that is quickly reduced to 66.  With in those 66 i found some strange /site/ pages with soem shop articles in it ( but not the ones that showed up in the Keyword tool) , but I'll remove those /site/ pages anyway.  The webmastertools did state that the map /shop/ was removed completly but that leaves me wondering what those 16,100 results are ...  ( i'll dig deeper in to that next days).

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Just started a brand new account , set it up,  and voila, it is showing those shop items again after I search for suggestions based on the domain,, when looking at the colum with URL's, non of the URLs are live ( actually they are redirected to the non-www root with a 301) So it stores it not only at account level (as what was told me by the helpdesk.

(and yes it starts out with  QS of 3 for the most keywords)

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Update .

Now the story is that the tool takes its suggestions from an old but life test site: www.test.oursite.com. (which actually  returns 404's for months). And mind you, the domain name that we used in the tool ( and which was set in WMT as prefered domainname) is "oursite.com" !!!

The sample URLs shown in the suggestion tool, when asking for suggestions for oursite.com, are www.oursite.com/shop/ . (but that directory /shop/ was removed, in the www and non-www version, months ago in WMT !)  And the tool shows these suggestions in a brand new account, no history at all, so whats kind of index is the AdWords Tool using ?? And can this be  seen completely unrelated to the Landingpage part of the QS ?

On a side note 1.; if the tool sees www.test.oursite.com as the same site as "oursite.com" that could cause some serious problems for Blogger.com,  and similar set up websites. . .  Still puzzled !  To be continued.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Still no answers !