AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

When to create a new adgroup vs campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is my question. I run a Computer business and we focus on providing lessons on things like tablets, pc's, cell phones, mp3 players etc.

I made a basic "Lessons" Campaign.

I made different adgroups for each device

1. Computer Lessons
  2. Tablet Lessons
  3. Cell Phone Lessons

I have multiple adds for each group.  Should I make more adgroups for different ages and terminology? 

Ex: For Computer Lessons...

1. In Home Computer Lessons
  2. In HOme Computer Training
  3. Beginner Computer Lessons
  4. Beginner Computer Training
  5. Private Computer Lessons
  6. Private Computer Training
  7. Personal Computer Lessons
  8. Computer Lessons fo Seniors
  9. Senor Citizen PC Lessons
  10. Kids Computer Lessons
  11. Computer Tutor

Pretend those are all the first lines of each individual ad in the ad group.  When I start picking keywords, if I pick Beginner Computer Lessons as one of my keywords, it's great for that specific ad, but terrible for my Senior Citizen PC Lessons.  Should I make different adgroups fo each one of these headlines?

Do I need different ad groups for Lessons vs Training?

Any help would be great, thanks for the input!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ScottD22
September 2015

Re: When to create a new adgroup vs campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ScottD22 and welcome to the forum.  It's very important that Ad Groups are tightly focused to the subject in hand so you want as many as you need to ensure this.  Looking at your 1 - 12, I'd probably have 7 Groups to cover that list.  1 and 2, 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 could probably go into a single Group each (i.e. 3 Groups) as "lessons" and "training" are very nearly the same thing.  However, if in doubt, have 12 Groups!

A few things to look out for.  Make sure your different Groups aren't competing with each other, i.e. don't have the same Keywords in more than one Group.  This could be tricky with the list you have there so it'll need some thought and planning.  Make sure your Ads closely match your Keywords for the Group and consider using DKI (Dynamic Keyword Insertion) to get an even better match.  Don't forget you can use the Display URL as an "extra" Keyword area, e.g. domain.com/KidsLessons, (although you may be limited by the characters you can use here).

As for when to use Groups and when to use Campaigns.  There are some settings that are only available at the Campaign level, for example those related to demographics (age, sex, etc.) and geographical targeting is only available at this level as well.  Most important though is budget.  I'd think you'd probably want to control the individual budgets for some of these areas and that can only happen at the Campaign level, not the Ad Group, so you may find yourself using several Campaigns to organise things.

Don't forget that Enhanced Campaigns are if not actually, very nearly here and some of the new features being rolled out ma be relevant to your situation.  You may want to hang on until they become available to you before making any more changes to your Account.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ScottD22
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ScottD22 and welcome to the forum.  It's very important that Ad Groups are tightly focused to the subject in hand so you want as many as you need to ensure this.  Looking at your 1 - 12, I'd probably have 7 Groups to cover that list.  1 and 2, 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 could probably go into a single Group each (i.e. 3 Groups) as "lessons" and "training" are very nearly the same thing.  However, if in doubt, have 12 Groups!

A few things to look out for.  Make sure your different Groups aren't competing with each other, i.e. don't have the same Keywords in more than one Group.  This could be tricky with the list you have there so it'll need some thought and planning.  Make sure your Ads closely match your Keywords for the Group and consider using DKI (Dynamic Keyword Insertion) to get an even better match.  Don't forget you can use the Display URL as an "extra" Keyword area, e.g. domain.com/KidsLessons, (although you may be limited by the characters you can use here).

As for when to use Groups and when to use Campaigns.  There are some settings that are only available at the Campaign level, for example those related to demographics (age, sex, etc.) and geographical targeting is only available at this level as well.  Most important though is budget.  I'd think you'd probably want to control the individual budgets for some of these areas and that can only happen at the Campaign level, not the Ad Group, so you may find yourself using several Campaigns to organise things.

Don't forget that Enhanced Campaigns are if not actually, very nearly here and some of the new features being rolled out ma be relevant to your situation.  You may want to hang on until they become available to you before making any more changes to your Account.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick and detialed reply Jon, I appreciate it!

Question: In your reply "A few things to look out for.  Make sure your different Groups aren't competing with each other, i.e. don't have the same Keywords in more than one Group."

I think I read about that in the guides I have been finding online. Applying that to my ads does this mean:

Ex:

(if the space in the ad allowed all these)

Senior Computer Lessons

Professional Computer Lessons

Senior Citizen Computer Lessons

Basic Computer Lessons

Intermediate Computer Lessons

etc...

Keyword in all: Computer Lessons

If I had each one in a different adgroup, but all these ads had "Computer Lessons" as a keyword, they would all technically be "competing" against one another, correct?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Scott, yes, they would, so you'll have to modify the Keywords to be more precise, i.e. including the "other" words such as senior, basic, etc.  (Oh, and watch out you don't get people looking for lessons in Basic Smiley Happy )  You would want these more precise Keywords anyway otherwise your Ads for, say, "Senior Computer Lessons" (and again, are you advertising for Senior Citizens or is it an "advanced" course?), could show up when someone searches for "kids computer lessons".  You want the "Senior" group to have a Keyword like +senior +computer +lessons and an Ad to match, and the basic to have one like +basic +computer +lessons and an Ad to match that, and so on.

I have to also add you're going to find this a tough market, I think.  Not only are you going to have problems with tying down the Keywords to be truly relevant to your business (you'll need a lot of negative Keywords) but I think you'll be facing some stiff competition.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah, I have a friend that told me the same information about it being a tough market online. Luckily the local business itself is fairly known in the area and I get most of my clients through local print advertising.

The reason I wanted to start advertising on google is because I recently started posting advertisements on craigslist and am averaging 20-30 inquiries a week about lessons within the first 3 weeks of posting there.  Most are email responses which to me is effortless and awesome!  I normally deal with making appointments, lessons, and questions all over the phone which is very time consuming.

I suppose I could scrap the idea of using keywords like "Senior Citizen, Basic, Kids" and just use my company name.

"Name of Company" Tech Lessons, "Name of Company"Computer Lessons, etc.

For me at this point it will be mostly trial and error vs the ROI.  I'm inexperienced with the localized online /adword world but from what I see doing local searches in my area, a lot of computer training schools for computer careers come up in the paid advertisements when using keywords like "computer traning, computer lessons, etc."  

I don't see many companies advertising in my market, at least through localized advertising on google which is why I'm intrigued in seeing if putting money to adwords will be overall worth it Smiley Happy

Thank you very much for your tips and advice, I've read over a lot of small guides but reading, and actually doing it while making my money worth the investment are two different things.

Thanks Jon!