AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

When should I adjust my ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone, AdWords beginner here. I'm about to set up the first GoogleAd for our company's online shop. I know this question sounds vague, and definitely depend on the kind of ads, company, target, etc. But I'm wondering, how long should I wait in general, after my ad been published, for me to make adjustments based on the ad performance? In another word, what's the suggested amount of impressions/clicks before making a marketing decision(remove ads from an area, add more keywords, etc).

Any help is appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hugo S
September 2015

Re: When should I adjust my ad

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Hugo,

Firstly a warm welcome to the AdWords community Smiley Happy

Your question is a very good question and I think is something that is very often not taken into consideration by new advertisers.

When analysing the CTR i always like to have a minimum of 1,000 impressions.

My advice to you, rather than editing your adverts, is to A-B test variations of your adverts alongside each other - Add a minimum of 2 adverts to every ad group and test the use of different call to actions, unique selling points and promotions. After some time you can compare the adverts performance against each other.

At the end of the day the amount of data you use to make decisions is completely at your discretion and there is no right or wrong - but remember the "data-led" decisions you make should have a good amount of data to back your decision up - Broadly speaking the more data you have the better. As I said for things like CTR i like to have a minimum of 1,000 impressions. Normally I'd run a filter on my keyword report with "Impressions > 1,0000" + "CTR < 1%".

Experiment, play around, chop and change things - But let that data build up nicely first!

Remember, spending budget to gain new optimisation opportunities is not a waste - If you need to ramp your spend up for a few days to aggregate data faster, then so be it! Smiley Happy

I really hope that helps you out and if you need any assistance/advice feel free to message me, i'm always happy to help.

Good luck in all your ventures Smiley Happy

Spike

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Hugo!

Take a look here.

https://www.google.com/analytics/gallery/#posts/search/%3F_.label%3DPAID_SEARCH%26_.start%3D0%26_.so...

It is a custom paid search report from analytics solutions gallery. When
you open it with your analytics accounts, you will find keywords on the
upper right side.

Tell me if everything is ok!

Maria

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Hugo!

This is really something that needs more info in order to be answered.
In general, 2 to 4 weeks should be enough. Then you could check for Quality (ad and keyword relevance),Top Keywords, Bounces.
In case you have a Google Analytics account for your site it would be very useful to connect them!

Let us know how it will go!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Hugo,

Firstly a warm welcome to the AdWords community Smiley Happy

Your question is a very good question and I think is something that is very often not taken into consideration by new advertisers.

When analysing the CTR i always like to have a minimum of 1,000 impressions.

My advice to you, rather than editing your adverts, is to A-B test variations of your adverts alongside each other - Add a minimum of 2 adverts to every ad group and test the use of different call to actions, unique selling points and promotions. After some time you can compare the adverts performance against each other.

At the end of the day the amount of data you use to make decisions is completely at your discretion and there is no right or wrong - but remember the "data-led" decisions you make should have a good amount of data to back your decision up - Broadly speaking the more data you have the better. As I said for things like CTR i like to have a minimum of 1,000 impressions. Normally I'd run a filter on my keyword report with "Impressions > 1,0000" + "CTR < 1%".

Experiment, play around, chop and change things - But let that data build up nicely first!

Remember, spending budget to gain new optimisation opportunities is not a waste - If you need to ramp your spend up for a few days to aggregate data faster, then so be it! Smiley Happy

I really hope that helps you out and if you need any assistance/advice feel free to message me, i'm always happy to help.

Good luck in all your ventures Smiley Happy

Spike

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Hugo,

It all depends on traffic and CTR rates. Basically, you're looking for "statistical significance".

Take a look at this website. http://getdatadriven.com/ab-significance-test

This is most useful when doing an A/B split test. The higher the CTR, the fewer impressions needed to reach significance. The bigger the difference in CTR between your A/B tests, the more reliable the data is for predicting future response.

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
you should always be A/B testing - or A/B/C/D.... testing - with your ads. what might look like subtle, almost meaningless differences can sometimes reap big differences in CTR - but even when you've identified a winner, you should run test against it to try and improve.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the replying Maria. We do have an analytics account, which will be linked to our AdWords account once its up. I'm having no problem understanding the rest, but can you explain more about the Top keywords, like from which panel/tool we can find it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Spike for the answer, and loved your suggestion of using multiple ads and simply verify which one works out better.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems that everyone has more or less raised the point of using A/B testing, so I will definitely take a look at that. Thank you so much for the help!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Hugo!

Take a look here.

https://www.google.com/analytics/gallery/#posts/search/%3F_.label%3DPAID_SEARCH%26_.start%3D0%26_.so...

It is a custom paid search report from analytics solutions gallery. When
you open it with your analytics accounts, you will find keywords on the
upper right side.

Tell me if everything is ok!

Maria