AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

When is good to allow the use of Cross-Account conversion tracking ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

1) If a client who is connected to the MCC lets the manager to use the "Cross account conversion code" instead of the standard "1 account conversion code" and he wants to unlink from the MCC later, he loses all the history of conversions ?

2) Does the  Cross account conversion code work the same way with the standard "1 account conversion code" for a single account ? I mean if we use it on a single account will we record any conversions in the "Tools and Analysis / Conversions" tab or is it meant to report only in the MCC interface ?

This is useful to know , if a client can also review his conversions in the case he allows cross-conversion code to be installed.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: When is good to allow the use of Cross-Account conversion tracking

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ok - the client has nothing to lose here...and in my experience, an account manager generally doesn't approach clients with suggestions that would harm them in any way.

If you're intrigued by what Adam had to say then you should have the discussion with Adam, in that thread.

By they way, you asked multiple questions in the OP and again here. Yes, most of them are covered in the help docs.

1. I don't think that was implied anywhere by anyone that this was the right or wrong way to implement this or that anyone would force it. 

2. Yes, of course they will have access...think about what a conversion is...generally, a click needs to happen and a cookie will need to meet conversion code...it will be attributed accordingly.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3030657

"Client accounts will be able to see, but not make changes to, cross-account conversions. MCC accounts only can make changes to these types of conversions."

The MCC holds the tools and reports that combine all of the data from the individual accounts, which are still individual.

3. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3061730

"When choosing your accounts, remember that any account can’t simultaneously use account-specific conversions and cross-account conversions. It can use only one or the other. (You can switch between the two without losing any conversions, though.)"

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

It's good to use when it makes sense to use it.  Cross-Account = Multiple accounts for the same business. I honestly can't see a logical reason for using it on a single account, especially one that may already have conversion tracking installed.  Smiley Happy

I think you may have missed a thing or two here:

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2013/08/get-more-insight-into-full-customer.html

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3061730

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't know if I am missing details. My question was "When is good to allow the use" , meaning when should a client refuse the instalation of a cross-account conversion code because he has something to lose.

I was intrigued by the words of Adam who wrote here : link ,

"For agencies it can work really well and easily as you only need to create one piece of code to go into all accounts sitting in the same MCC"

1) I can't imagine why an agency would force all it's different clients who are unrelated to use a single conversion code just to allow the agency to see cross-conversions at MCC level. How is this useful to individual businesses each with 1 account to share the same conversion code ?

2) If a client allows this code to be installed will they have access in their own AdWords account to the list of conversions or will they be reported only in the MCC because conversions get counted differently when data is picked from several accounts ?

3) If the answer is that the client no longer sees any conversions, it means that once he decides to unlink, tools like Conversion Optimiser, have no historical data to work with.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ok - the client has nothing to lose here...and in my experience, an account manager generally doesn't approach clients with suggestions that would harm them in any way.

If you're intrigued by what Adam had to say then you should have the discussion with Adam, in that thread.

By they way, you asked multiple questions in the OP and again here. Yes, most of them are covered in the help docs.

1. I don't think that was implied anywhere by anyone that this was the right or wrong way to implement this or that anyone would force it. 

2. Yes, of course they will have access...think about what a conversion is...generally, a click needs to happen and a cookie will need to meet conversion code...it will be attributed accordingly.

"Client accounts will be able to see, but not make changes to, cross-account conversions. MCC accounts only can make changes to these types of conversions."

The MCC holds the tools and reports that combine all of the data from the individual accounts, which are still individual.

3. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3061730

"When choosing your accounts, remember that any account can’t simultaneously use account-specific conversions and cross-account conversions. It can use only one or the other. (You can switch between the two without losing any conversions, though.)"

-Tommy

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Now I get it, I thought that there was a logic in having an MCC for every type of similar business, for example an MCC for all the dentists that you manage around the country, they could be 100 and having the same cross-conversion code would make some sense for all even if they are different. But it seems it is not the case for this feature.

The conclusion would be that the copy-pasted code is the same all over the websites of the same business, the MCC account has the power to decide conversion rules and conversion names , and the client just sees the results and he gets to keep them later no matter if they unlink.

I think it is better if I ask questions outside of other people's discussions to avoid upseting them Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I think you explained it very well.

For the record, I do think there could be benefits outside of the multiple account - same business model, I just haven't identified them yet. Smiley Happy

-Tommy