AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

When are TopPage bid and First page bid at close values ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

1) If we see that the Top of page bid and the First page bid estimates are almost the same ( a few cents apart) does this mean that there are very few competitors ? 

2) Can those two estimates be equal ? For example when there are only 3 competitors on a long tail keyword or a niche keyword and they all have the same QS of 10/10. This can happen if you have an ad group made from Search Terms.

Since there is no 4-th competitor , the first page bid should be close even if not the same as the first page bid, since they all occupy the first 3 slots , meaning the "Top of page"

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: When are TopPage bid and First page bid at close values ?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for reaching out and these are some great questions! Please check out my answers below in bold.

1) If we see that the Top of page bid and the First page bid estimates are almost the same ( a few cents apart) does this mean that there are very few competitors ?

Nope, seeing close first and top page bid estimates just means that the competition level in those position isn’t that far apart. It doesn’t necessarily mean that there are few competitors. You could see this scenario if there a few people bidding or if there are hundreds of people bidding - it is more about how close the competition is across the first and top page.  

2) Can those two estimates be equal ? For example when there are only 3 competitors on a long tail keyword or a niche keyword and they all have the same QS of 10/10. This can happen if you have an ad group made from Search Terms.

In my experience, I have seen the estimates be equal in a few situations. In those cases, there is still a different bid for the top page and the first page based on the specific performance in each account. Quality score is variable in the sense that it is based on performance which is dynamic and constantly evolving. Keep in mind that the estimates update frequently based on the performance in the account and the competitors in the market so it is not uncommon to see frequent changes based on how dynamic the auction process is.

3) Since there is no 4-th competitor , the first page bid should be close even if not the same as the first page bid, since they all occupy the first 3 slots , meaning the "Top of page"

Good question! This is not necessarily true. While it may appear that there isn’t a fourth competitor, this may just be in the search you are completing. Often the search results will only show the top of page ads for a better user experience but in reality there are other advertisers in the auction that will show in lower first page position in another auction result. By bidding in line with the top page bid estimate, you will still be bidding competitively for situations in which more than those three ads show.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions by responding to this post. Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Anna

Re: When are TopPage bid and First page bid at close values ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for answering , All clear now , I thought this was a way to anticipate the level of competition by using this information .

I'll stick to the historical level of low/medium/high reported in the keyword planner, when adding new keywords and I'll run auction insights after a week or two of testing.