AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

When a Duplicate Keyword is not a duplicate...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does Adwords use a Thesaurus?

I sell training courses.  I have AdGroups for keywords around the words "certification" and "training."   KW could be "management certification boston" or "management training boston"

Google seems to regard certification and training as duplicates.  A thesaurus effect...?

Mostly, certification is taking preference over training and training KW are being flagged as duplicates.  I think this is because the certification group has more impressions and higher Max CPC

Has anyone encountered this before?

I understand the concept of duplicate keywords and how to find them, but this is a bit different

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: When a Duplicate Keyword is not a duplicate...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Paul,

It's difficult to conclude whether thesaurus is included or not. Reason being that officially what AdWords help center says and refers to are the close variants of your keywords if we talk about Phrase and Exact Match type keywords. Details here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

I would also suggest you to review this link where it is explained how similar keywords match to searhc terms: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

In terms of AdWords implementation, what you can do to test this is to add these terms as embedded negative keywords and then monitor the performance of the account. Doing this would help you understand the account changes and then you can optimize the account accordingly.

A higher max CPC could be due to many facts like low ad rank, low Quality Score or how the competition grows online. 

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Paul,

Though I have never faced this particular problem with adwords in last 5 years, but may be this is a new update from Google which does't sound pleasing at all.

Did you try keeping these keywords into two separate ad groups, I mean one with "Training" related keywords and in another "Certification" related keywords.
This might help.

Thanks
Rohit

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I think the OP was misunderstood, and the quotation mark  is used to label the word in question  and not to indicate "phrase match"
I would be more inclined to think that the OP is using broad match for  which training is a synonym of certification.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Everyone,

Thanks for your time and good advice.

I'm going to do 2 things

1 - Remove the broad matches / replace with BMM
2 - Apply a negative KW to each campaign so negative "training" in the Certification group, and vice versa

@rohilt - "training" and "certification" are in different groups