AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

When I target with a radius are the "locations within this target"...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When I target with a radius are the "locations within this target" also included in the physically targeted area? For example, if my radius has significant enough overlap with a DMA, am I targeting the DMA? It would appear that I am if the "locations in this target" are included. The information I have found is a little iffy  on the matter. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: When I target with a radius are the "locations within this ta

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello David;

If I got your question correctly; Either you use a radius to target your Geo-region, or target using Nielsen DMA. You can't use both methods to target: as you said they can overlap.

Read more:

Target ads to a selected geographic location

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Not really, thank you for the response, however I probably did not explain my question clearly enough. As a result, I will try to clarify and appreciate any further insight.

When targeting by a radius there is a section to the right of the map just below where your radius lat and long are titled "Locations within this target". 

Based on the below snippet from ( http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en ) I am under the impression that the targets listed in the section "Locations within this target" are included in my targeting. 

When you target a radius, you'll be able to target the cities and/or regions within the radius that you've chosen in your settings. We will show you a list of locations that are contained within the radius, also known as 'Locations within this target'. You can review these locations to make sure that you've captured the areas that you expect to target.

To further support this theory the bubble text that appears after clicking on the "?" next to "Locations within this target" reads...

'Locations within this target' will show the locations that are contained in the proximity target, or that overlap considerably with the proximity target. Typically, your ad is eligible to show in these locations when you select this proximity target.

There may be instances where the proximity target contains both the postal code and the city that contains the postal code. In these instances, the city will be shown instead.

I have always been under the understanding that radii will "bleed" slightly and was previously under the impression that if your radius enters a zip code the entire zip code is covered. That makes sense to me, however after recently reading the above information I checked a few accounts to see what the "Locations within this target" are including. As a result, I discovered that most of my accounts have a much farther than intended reach. One account I noticed, based on the notion that I am targeting "Locations within this target" includes an entire congression district adding an audience of about 800,000 people I do not wish to target. 

Therefore, I have a two part question. 

Are all of the "Locations within this target" included in my radius targeted?

What happens when I exclude one and there is overlap from another target that I wish to include? Does the exclusion or inclusion win?

Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

OK got you...(well I think ...)

>>."I have always been under the understanding that radii will "bleed" slightly and was previously under the impression that if your radius enters a zip code the entire zip code is covered."

This is also my understanding. I have seen cases in European countries where Geo targeting is not as accurate as in the USA, that the radius expands to a whole "big" Geo-region. But, in the USA, where location targeting is accurate (more or less), up to  level of a zip code, expanding the radius targeting to a  whole district doesn't make sense;...Smiley Surprised

The only explanation I can think of, is that in this particular state, Geo-targeting  is not perfect. Hence, when your radius  drawing "crosses"   a certain area, an  additional area is automatically added. (In your case the whole district)

My understanding is the OR condition applies. i.e  you  target the original geographic area you intended,  and the "extra"  area added (though you did not intend to include it).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I wrote a long well planned response with research and screen shots to boot! It turns out it is just to long to post here...So please reference this link for the doc...

Thanks

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxqTyj8V-QUZcUpXUE1GOEpRMFU/edit?usp=sharing

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again;  

Really nice document and with clear  examples. I liked the presentation.

As I said, location targeting is not perfect. (Mainly due to  telecom infrastructure)

The result, as shown in the nice examples you gave, is that some areas are excluded within a radius, others are added ..You never can figure exactly which is  added or excluded, until you analyze  the data. (As you did)

My advice; Do not target by radius; Target by zip codes, city limits or Nielsen DMA. Those are (in my view)  the most accurate methods for Geo targeting.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I agree that targeting via radius is not the best option and should be used more like a tool to quickly add smaller target areas rather than a primary targeting tool. However, because of the current limitations of the api I work with it actually is the best option until additional enhancements are made. Even though this post is marked solved, many questions remain. Thank you MosheTV for the insight that helped me drill down. The question remains, Google tells me that the areas included in my proximity target (radius), as listed by them in the targeting interface, are areas in which ads are eligible to serve. However based on my analysis this is only half true. I imagine that Google's tools could report on the actual city targets or zip targets where my ads are serving based on my radius. This is just not the case and especially in regard to the Congressional districts. This leaves me to have to individually test each target listed in their section "locations included in this target". Because only some areas they claim are targeted are in fact included are there other areas not in the list that are included? For example one radius I use is 80 miles in a rural area and the locations included in this target only shows targets in the northern part of the radius. As a result, am I to believe that these locations to the north of an 80 mile radius are the only target overlap. I understand that radius targeting is not a best practice, but for my purposes it is the best I have at the moment and feel like I have the inability to discern my actual targeted areas. At least without endless testing with the ad preview tool that is.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Agree. The topic is not closed. So, I removed the "mark as solution" , but stared your question, since it clearly explains the issue with relevant screenshots.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I stumbled upon this post after doing some research. I can shed some light on this topic.

Radius targeting works fine for paid search. I don't know about cities on the edge, but the congressional districts and DMAs included in a radius target are not shown.

However, it works exactly the opposite on the GDN. Radius targeting is a very bad idea. For example, a radius of 50 miles of Omaha will get you all the way to Des Moines. This is a technical bug in Adwords.

Finally, zip code targeting is weak in Adwords. It doesn't really work as advertised in Big Cities. Only in the burbs. You can verify this by doing a geo targeting report in Adwords and looking at most specific location. If you look up the cities of zip codes as most specific target, you won't see many big cities. This is disappointing. City targeting is best.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brian,
this is an old post obviously but still showing up in google search for certain queries which is how i found this post. I have read thru this hole string after i have had some questions about whether I should be using zip codes or cities. I have been inputting zip codes using radius targeting of say 3-10 miles. Do you still think that in 2016 this is a bad idea, that using city targeting is best? I have a a project where I was given 200+ zip codes to target all within the same general city location. I thought id get granular and use zip code targeting plus some radius targeting. If I choose city targeting + a radius of about 20 miles I bleed into a nearby state which I do not want to target. I suppose I can exclude those nearby areas. So do you still think city targeting is the way to go or is the way im setting this up ok? Thank you.