Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

When Does Keyword Quality Score Update?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

How often does keyword quality score update within the account? I feel like I add a keyword and it gets a quality score of 6. Then in the future once data has accrued i'll add an extremely close variation or multiple similar keywords and get consistently higher QS's.

Input is greatly appreciated thanks.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: When Does Keyword Quality Score Update?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

QS is recalculated  for every auction, and to my knowledge the figure  shown (on the UI)  is the latest calculated. (Though not sure - it could be an average of the last auctions in which the keyword participated)

Now; when you add a new keyword, it is granted a "default QS" (based on other advertisers QS for the same KW) until the KW gets enough impressions for calculating a CTR, based on your campaign performance.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your post! I don't think there is a set timeframe for when QS updates. This is because it's different for all accounts and keywords, as they all have different volumes. I'd imagine your keywords are performing well and above average, so when you add an extremely close variant it might be reaping the benefits of the overall high QS of your account. 

Has anyone else on the Community experienced this also?  

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
"to my knowledge the figure shown (on the UI) is the latest calculated."

Based on my experience I am not sure this is true.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again Robert

Well... What is your experience?

As for the second part of the question: as explained as a KW gains impressions (triggers the ad), CTR changes - and CTR is the predominant component of QS.

Please also note that for calculating QS, the system considers  only clicks in which  the search query exactly matches  the keyword;

Also see this discussion:
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/QUALITY-SCORE-CONFUSION/m-p/35692...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
My experience is as I mentioned in my original post as well as this.

Old keywords seem to remain at their QS level in the UI that they were given when originally added to the ad group. I can't specifically remember an example but I always notice that new keywords added into ad groups with history always seem to have higher QS's than the originally added KW's.

"Please also note that for calculating QS, the system considers only clicks in which the search query exactly matches the keyword" - Good reminder.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Robert,

I think what you have pointed out here is true to an extent. New keywords do have higher QS as compared to new ones but this is because ( and this is something I've heard from a experienced source) everytime a new keyword is added to an account, it is given the QS value of 10.

As and when the keywords start receiving traction their QS is recalculated and is then assigned a new QS.

Again, this is something that I have heard from an experienced source, so if I'm wrong in any way, please feel free to correct me.

Cheers,

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert O
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@ShashankSingh ;

Read this article by Google:

>>..."when we add fresh keywords, initially, they’re awarded a historical Quality Score based on their previous performance on Google.com. And only once the keyword starts accruing statistics, the system then evaluates its Quality Score based on its recent performance. This doesn’t happen dynamically, but is a gradual process."

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for going the extra mile @MosheTLV

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am getting a QS of 10/10 very frequently with Low Search Volume keywords and then those receive no impression no matter how much I bid. This is a little bit strange.

From my experience the QS can be updated even during the day if the volume of impressions for that keyword is high enough. I use labels to tag the QS and to notice changes later on.