AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What's the most important thing I need to know about AdWords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Everybody, 

I'm thinking about using AdWords, but I don't know what I need to know. I feel like donald rumsfeld here, but ... what are the unknown unknowns? 

Where should I start? 

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What's the most important thing I need to know about AdWords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello daveguy,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I would suggest you start by watching videos and reading through various free sources to get an idea of how AdWords works and how to start managing your own campaigns. Here are a few links I suggest newcomers check out before diving into their own accounts:

• This video gives a brief overview of the idea behind AdWords just to clarify it for you.
  • There is an official AdWords Help Centre which contains a wealth of information on all AdWords fundamentals and more.
  • Within that help centre there is a Setup and basics section which will get you started on the right track.
  • As you progress you can start studying the material that prospective AdWords Certified Partners need to know in order to gain their certification.
  • Some members within this community create articles for everyone else to learn from, you mind find some of them interesting to read.

Then if you have any specific questions always feel free to ask us here!

I hope that gets you started on the right track.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi daveguy, I'll just underline Scott's point...  For me the most important thing about starting out with Adwords is to get a good understanding of the product before you start spending any money.  If we see far too many people on this forum who come here having spent varying amounts of money with little (or no) returns on their investment and who have lost this money through misunderstandings of the way the system works.

When you do feel ready to start, start small.  Set a daily budget of only between $10 and $50 (regardless of how much you think you might spend in the end) and set an End Date for the campaign for a week or two away in case you lose access to the account unexpectedly.  Monitor it very closely over the first few days, and make sure it's working well before increasing your budget and releasing (or extending) the end date.

I guess I'd say the second most important thing is to ensure you have a means of tracking the success of the Campaign(s), typically known here as "Conversion Tracking".  The principle is simplest to explain using a basic online shopping analogy. Let's say you sell widgets on your website.  The net profit on these widgets is $12.  If you use Adwords to advertise them, you'll want to ensure you spend less than $12 for each sale Adwords brings (hopefully a lot less!).  With most ecommerce solutions this is fairly easy as you can tie the actual online purchases into the Adwords system and can see exactly what sales Adwords has brought.  When sales aren't as direct, e.g. mostly by phone or in person, then it's tougher to track but it's essential to get some form of measurement in place.  

As Scott said, have a look through all the material then please do come back with any specific queries you may have.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello daveguy and welcome,

Great thoughts from great people above Smiley Happy

I would just like to point you towards this excellent article written by Jon which helps the novice users to see if Adwords is actually what they are aiming for. Read this article which is an eye opener for most of us and then decide about your plan of action.

Pankaj

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Ha! Donald Rumsfeld.... 

Absolutely, listen to the TC's... They know best. Smiley Happy

Without a doubt, the most hilarious thing I have ever read in the forum.... EVER!

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Wow guys, thanks for such a helpful response. Glad I could bring some laughs and looking forward to digesting this info and learning how I might be able to contribute to the community, too!