AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What's the best ad group structure when using BMM?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Some say that grouping keywords by content works best, because it increases your QS. Others group by keywords match types (separate ad group for each keyword match type) – gives you more control and... way more work which may become unmanageable! But I want to ask about grouping by keywords & their match type - where the highest bid is for exact, lower for phase and the lowest for BMM.
Example:
Ad group 1. “best running shoes”, [best running shoes], +best +running +shoes
Ad group 2. “running shoes best”, [running shoes best], +running +shoes +best
My question is if BMM matches countless word order and spelling variations will placing +best +running +shoes and +running +shoes +best in different ad groups will make the keywords compete against each other and potentially increasing my CPC? If so, should I include the BMM only in one ad group or combine the two ad groups into one like this:
Ad group: “best running shoes”, [best running shoes], +best +running +shoes, “running shoes best”, [running shoes best].
However, with this structure sometimes the ad group will have a lot of keywords, i.e. when the phase have 4 or even 5 words, then the variations of it may result in having a lot of keywords in one ad group which is not good either.

Could you provide me with some help?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: What's the best ad group structure when using BMM?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nata and welcome to the forum.  I'm not sure I've caught all your questions so I'll do my best - please let me know any I've missed!

First off, for almost all things AdWords there really is no "right" way.  What works for one person won't work for another so any advice given or received always has to bear that in mind.  In respect of match types and groupings I know a lot of people like to use the grouping by type (and use negatives to control those groups) but personally I don't.  Google already has very sophisticated programs in place to pick the best match for a given search query and I don't see the need to try and improve upon this.  My general advice would always be therefore to focus Ad Groups by theme not by match type.

My only real exception to this would be where the match types influence the Ads themselves.  For example if you're using Dynamic Keyword Insertion you have to be quite thoughtful about the Keywords in your Groups so they make sense if inserted into an Ad.  BMM Keywords may not work well with DKI so maybe you'd have separate Groups for DKI Ads.

BMM doesn't care about word order so +best +running +shoes is identical to +shoes +running +best and yes, if these two were in separate Groups they would compete with each other.  However, you'd probably never have this situation because it's not a good way to build groups anyway.  In the specific example of the two Groups you've outlined, I'd have the phrase and exact matches all in one Group, probably using DKI and the BMM in another Group with a manually written Ad.

You don't need to split "best running shoes" and "running shoes best" into separate groups as although they're different terms the intent from the searcher is the same, so the same Ads should work and the same landing page.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nata and welcome to the forum.  I'm not sure I've caught all your questions so I'll do my best - please let me know any I've missed!

First off, for almost all things AdWords there really is no "right" way.  What works for one person won't work for another so any advice given or received always has to bear that in mind.  In respect of match types and groupings I know a lot of people like to use the grouping by type (and use negatives to control those groups) but personally I don't.  Google already has very sophisticated programs in place to pick the best match for a given search query and I don't see the need to try and improve upon this.  My general advice would always be therefore to focus Ad Groups by theme not by match type.

My only real exception to this would be where the match types influence the Ads themselves.  For example if you're using Dynamic Keyword Insertion you have to be quite thoughtful about the Keywords in your Groups so they make sense if inserted into an Ad.  BMM Keywords may not work well with DKI so maybe you'd have separate Groups for DKI Ads.

BMM doesn't care about word order so +best +running +shoes is identical to +shoes +running +best and yes, if these two were in separate Groups they would compete with each other.  However, you'd probably never have this situation because it's not a good way to build groups anyway.  In the specific example of the two Groups you've outlined, I'd have the phrase and exact matches all in one Group, probably using DKI and the BMM in another Group with a manually written Ad.

You don't need to split "best running shoes" and "running shoes best" into separate groups as although they're different terms the intent from the searcher is the same, so the same Ads should work and the same landing page.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

Thanks for a great reply.

Just like you said what works best for one person it may not for another. From running some experiments I found that for my products grouping by theme brought weaker results than by match type. However, your suggestion on grouping exact and phase into one group and BMM into another sounds like something I was looking for!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No problem Nata, my pleasure.  Just remember my words are just a suggestion - they may not work for you.  Every AdWords account is different and you should always experiment with other methods even if they appear to be against "best practice".

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why not group by both theme AND match type?

Seems that would satisfy both the quality score and control requirements.

I am trying this now with a few of my clients, I'll post again in a couple months once I've seen how it goes.