AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What metrics are best to use when setting up a remarketing list?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I was just wondering if anyone knew about remarketing lists.

What are the best metrics to pick when retargeting a user?

What is best practice setup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joel D
September 2015

Re: What metrics are best to use when setting up a remarketing list?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) The larger the banner, the more attention and clicks it can catch.

2) Because you cannot anticipate on what websites the visitors will be , it is best to have all sizes of banners and at least a text ad to make sure that you are eligible for more impressions. A click on a banner could cost more than the click on a text ad because it occupies more space.

3) Another important metric is the impression capping, I have setup the serving of ads to at most 10-20 Ads per visitor per day. The default is an unlimited serving of ads per visitor and this can drag the CTR down.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Joel,

Welcome again to the Community

The help center offers a variety of strategies to use when building a list : link

The main recommended usage is for users who "almost" converted, if it is a store these are the "shopping cart abandoners".

I would only add that you can use both the AdWords tag to build audiences and the Google Analytics remarketing code. The second one is a quick replace of the normal analytics code with a modified one that puts a cookie from the doubleclick.net domain in the browser. It is also called a remarketing pixel.

Analytics remarketing offers more flexibility when setting up a customized list , like selecting all visitors who did spend more than 10 seconds on the site but did not convert. However for the moment the Google Analytics code can be used only for remarketing in the Display Network.

Remarketing brought  to me better conversion rates , especially if you use large banners built with the Display Ad Builder.

You can also import Analytics remarketing audiences from other websites in your Adwords Account. For example if you have a website with high traffic from organic sources you can use it to bring its visitors to a new site. This is useful if you think that the visitors from the first site would be interested in what the second site has to offer.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I was thinking of using custom built banners, what do you mean by large?
I do like the idea of building the remarketing list through Google Analytics though.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joel D
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) The larger the banner, the more attention and clicks it can catch.

2) Because you cannot anticipate on what websites the visitors will be , it is best to have all sizes of banners and at least a text ad to make sure that you are eligible for more impressions. A click on a banner could cost more than the click on a text ad because it occupies more space.

3) Another important metric is the impression capping, I have setup the serving of ads to at most 10-20 Ads per visitor per day. The default is an unlimited serving of ads per visitor and this can drag the CTR down.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
How do you cap impressions?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Here it is : link

You can also have 4 alternative ad groups and show each one in a weekly sequence, this way the user sees the same ad only after 1 month.

If you have a large e-commerce store, there is also an option for retailers for dynamic remarketing : link