Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What match type is Keyword Planner set to

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Does anyone know what match type Google's Keyword Planner is set to?

So for example if average monthly searches is 1000, is that 1000 searches exact match, phrase match or broad match.

Thanks

Al

1 Expert replyverified_user

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 2
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi @Alastair K

The Keyword Planner is using all exact match data. However, there were changes recently and close variants of keywords are now being added in. 

If you're using your list of keywords to find the historical data and trends, you can set up match types for keywords. 

"If you use keyword match types with your keywords, we take only those match types into account when calculating traffic forecasts. For example, if you add a keyword as exact match, like [Cabo luxury resort], your forecasts will give you an idea how that keyword might perform as an exact match keyword." 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6325039?hl=en&ref_topic=3175091

Regards,
Eva

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eva

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.

I tried adding "keyword" and [keyword] but it came back with same data (which is unlikely). It grouped them as one. I followed the instructions in your link.

To me it seems you are stuck with exact match data and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Shame because Google's keyword planner is becoming more and more useless to anybody serious about digital marketing.

Alastair