AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the perfect/ideal account structure?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see so many conflicting views on what is the correct way to set an account up. Some say one campaign for your website and then all ad groups with a dozen keywords in each inc broad,exact,phrase matches. Other say various campaigns for your website sections and then 1 keyword per adgroup!

This will now probably change even more now we have enhanced campaigns,

If I was to set up the perfect/correct account for say a furniture ecommerce store that is targeting all available markets. Should it look like this in the new enhanced campaigns:

Campaign for Google Search & Search Partners (Computers)

Campaign for Google Search & Search Partners (Tablets with full browsers)

Campaign for Google Search & Search Partners (Mobile devices with full browsers)

Campaign for Google Display Text & Image Ads (Computers)

Campaign for Google Display Text & Image Ads (Tablets with full browsers)

Campaign for Google Display Text & Image Ads (Mobile devices with full browsers)

Campaign for Google Video Ads Only

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the perfect/ideal account structure?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Richard,

Definitely split your search and display campaigns. Are these targets by device? I figure they probably are. Desktops and tablets are in the same target group with Enhanced campaigns. And it is now difficult to set up a campaign for mobile devices alone.

What you can do is design different landing pages for mobile devices, and use the ismobile and isnotmobile tags in your url to send the mobile visitors to a different page.

Campaign organization has much more to do with budget control. If you create ad groups by product group for your furniture store and place all those ad groups in one campaign, they will all share the same budget. That means your ad for a $15 lamp can use up your budget to advertise your $1000 couch--and they would both have the same default bid. I would recommend you make your decisions regarding campaign structure on this basis. You would may want to allocate a higher budget to your high dollar items and a lower budget for your lower dollar items. Or it might turn out you want to do it the other way around. Only testing will answer that question for you.

That's the reason there is so much conflicting advice on the net. What works for one company will not necessarily work for another, even when both companies are in the same market.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords