AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the difference between ad group and campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm a beginner in adwords and would like to know the difference between ad group and campaign. Can somebody explain me in simple and detailed? I looked for references but was not satisfied.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: What is the difference between ad group and campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

A Campaign contains Ad Groups and Ad Groups contain Ads & Keywords. So in Account structure an Ad Group is one stage below a Campaign.

It is up to you how you organise your Account - maybe this example will help explain it.

If you sold CDs. You might want to have a Campaign for each genre of music so 'Rock Campaign', 'Classical Campaign', 'Jazz Campaign' etc

Within each of your Campaigns you might want to have a separate Ad Group for each artist/band/composer that would contain Ads and Keywords relevant to them - so for example in your 'Rock Campaign' you might want to have a 'Pearl Jam Ad Group', 'Green Day Ad Group' etc.

As I mentioned above, how you choose to organise your account is up to you, but it is worth having a think about how you want it structured for ease of reporting and optimisation going forward.

stwilsons

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your valuable explanation +StWilsons. It definitely helped me understand the difference.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Would like to ask one more thing. I've Ad1 and Ad2 running under Adgroup "Properties" under Campaign "Real Estate". Now, I've to redirect my Ad1 to www.xyz.com/contact and Ad2 to www.xyz.com/landing-page, is this possible? I'm a bit skeptical about this, because when I had conversation with Adwords Executive she said that it is not possible and I'm still not confident on her answer.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
There are two options that I think would be worth considering.

1. Keyword level destination URL - this allows you to set a unique destination URL for each keyword which overrides the Ad Destination URL.

2. Sitelinks - this allows you to have more than one Destination URL in each Ad and take up more space on the SERP

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Avirat,

This is definitely possible. As long as both ads have the same domain (xyz.com).

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Avirat

For the difference between campaigns and ad groups and how to set it up go to https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/1704396?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=2795210

On your second question you can direct your advert to whatever page you want on your website. Just copy and paste into the destination URL section when setting up the ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Newbie too I had the same issue! Thanks a lot for good explanation.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni

Actually, Avirat K, what you describe sounds as though you simply want to change one ad so that a click on the ad goes to a different page on your own website?

That's completely possible. Just edit the original ad (whichever one you want to change) to put the new URL in the Destination URL spot. 

If, on the other hand, you wanted one ad to lead to a page on your own website and the other ad to lead to a page on some other domain, then the account executive and SanneB are right, you would not be able to do that. (Each Ad Group has to be associated with only one domain.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
A Big Thank to all the Pros for Answering! Smiley Happy