AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the difference between Interest based & Context based ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Binny M
September 2015

Re: What is the difference between Interest based & Context based

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Binny,

Find more about contextual targeting at https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404186?hl=en

Find more information about interest based targeting at https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497941?hl=en

Hope this helps,

Deepak
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Binny M
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Binny

I shall attempt to give you my thoughts on this.

First off, some snippets from the google help pages:

“Contextual targeting is one of a few different methods that you can use to get your ads on sites and webpages that are part of Google’s Display Network. This method of targeting uses the keywords or topics you’ve chosen to match your ads to relevant sites”.

“With Interests, you can add audiences to ad groups in your Google Display Network campaigns and to your TrueView video campaigns’ targeting groups to reach people interested in products and services similar to those your business offers -- even when these people are browsing websites, using apps, or watching videos not directly related to your products and service”.

As my understanding, there are slight and subtle differences between them.

Contextual Targeting enabled advertisers to begin optimizing the performance of their contextually targeted display campaigns at the keyword level. At its root core,  a contextual advertising system scans the text of a website for keywords and returns advertisements to the webpage based on those keywords. If I was a reseller of Automobile parts, I therefore may opt for the contextual based Keywords such as those related to automobiles (in its most basic application and implementation).

With Interests, the list of interest categories available to you is large, but this targeting method is very different. Because you're targeting the person not the page content, people might be looking at anything who may be interested in automobile parts. This may include an interest in the outdoors, sport, all manner of categories can be selected depending on your own profiling data and target audience.

I hope that helps a little, that’s my interpretation of this area. There is of course a lot more depth here that can be added.

Al the best

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks James.

I would like to if this applies only for Web or both Web and Mobile applications?