AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the difference between Ad Group and Keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I use the keyword tool there are two columns Ad Group and Keyword but I'm not sure how I use the two to develope exact phrase matches.  Can you tell me how?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the difference between Ad Group and Keyword?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Keywords are the things the program matches against user search terms to decide whether or not they should see your ad.

Ad Groups are how you organize your ads and eywords--different but closely 'themed" keywords can all be put in one group and when they're matched against a search term, can trigger any of the ads you've selected for that "theme."

The tool is just offering you stand-alone keywords if you want to add a few words to existing Ad Groups here and there. Where there are a lot of suggestions, it's also offering new Ad Groups so that you can add entirely new Ad Groups to your campaign. You can add some or all of the keywords in the suggested new Ad Groups. (You'll need to create ads for those if you decide to add them.)

Hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Barberhat,
To add to Theresa's excellent answer - if you're just starting your experience with AdWords (and it sounds like you are), I suggest you really take time to research and understand the platform and all its components. Often time advertisers can sign up for AdWords and, without fully understanding it, can spend a lot of money in a very short amount of time and receive poor results. I always suggest reading the AdWords for Beginners Guide as it does a great job laying out all the fundamentals that you'll need to be successful via AdWords - www.google.com/adwords/pdf/hc/growing_adwords_en.pdf‎