AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the best way to manage competitors keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

What is the best way to manage competitor keywords? For example, how does Coca Cola manage the Pepsi Keyword? 

We have configured some keywords of competitors but google is not showing them because of this message “Rarely shown due to low quality score".  What do you recommend me to do? 

Thank you!!

Fernando Leñero

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the best way to manage competitors keywords?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Fernando,

Great question! There's no right answer about this topic - there are a lot of differing opinions. Personally, I prefer to create a separate campaign for competitor keywords. I tend to find that I get a lot of leads off of competitor terms. Sometimes the consumer has their mind set up on that brand and they won't give you a second thought. However, often, the consumer hasn't made up their mind - they are just interested in the product and are doing research. Or, they may be a client of your competitor without being completely satisfied.

Typically, I will set up one "Competitor" campaign and then create ad groups for each of the primary competitors.

Do know that if you bid on competitor terms, they often will also begin to bid on yours (if they aren't already). Depending on what your budget is, you may not want to open this can of worms but it can generate low cost leads/sales.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Though the Policy does allow to bid on a competitor name; I would be cautious doing so. I have seen cases in which it started a legal battle and the client was not happy... And further had to pay the enormous legal fees.

So my advice: don't bid on a competitor's (brand) name without first consulting with the client.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Good point, Moshe, if you are managing campaigns on behalf of someone else, you should definitely speak with your client before proceeding. Sometimes gentleman's agreements are in place where they have agreed not to bid on certain competitive terms and you don't want to accidentally violate that.

Also, be sure to follow trademark policies when writing ads. Your ads shouldn't use competitor brand names, which also means ensuring Dynamic Insertion isn't being used in competitor campaigns.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Fernando,
Firstly i am agree with moshe, If your running competitor keywords not contained trademark issue than the best way to run separate campaign with different- 2 adgroup according to competitor name. 2nd things use static ads not dynamic ads. 3rd things, Add adgroup level site link Extension in each adgroup. In this way you can create more visibility on competitor keywords.
Thanks,
Jitender