AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the best way to keep all negative keywords ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All !

What are the consequences of keeping all the negative keywords ( even those made from 1 word, all in phrase match or all in exact match ?

What can happen if we use BMM in negatives ? 

Can you provide some examples to understand this better ?

At one time I decided to keep all negatives in a phrase match but now I cannot remember why I took that decision.

3 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: What is the best way to keep all negative keywords ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

I am the same as you in this regard - using phrase and exact match only for negatives. 

The main reason I do this, is that I am scared that using Broad or BMM as negatives will auto-negative something that is actually relevant. So an example would be:

I run a shoe shop online. I specifically sell Adidas running shoes.

Positive keywords:

running shoes

training shoes

running trainers

Negative keywords:

[women's shoes]

In this example I want to exclude searches which are likely to be looking for smart shoes, high heels, etc... but I won't want to put this on Broad negative because Google might then exclude someone who's actual search query was <women's running trainers>. Does that make sense? I want to exclude that type of women's shoe generic search, but I don't want to exclude women altogether.

On the other hand - negs are a bit of a minefield and I prefer to have maximum exact and phrase matches in my positives so that there is as little dependency on negs as possible :-) 

Does this help refresh your thinking at all? I'm sure someone else will give a much more in depth and technical review of this, but in principle it is to do with safety and not excluding good impressions just because you couldn't be bothered building an exhaustive list of phrase / exact negs.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian B,

I like to utilize all three match types when it comes to choosing negative keywords. For example: Running Adwords Campaign for "International School - K12".

I prefer to add some common negatives when I start campaign, For this client: I will add in broad match negative keywords such as:

job
jobs
employment
institute

because I don't want client ad to show up for anyone who is looking for job & searching for institutes as mine is school till k-12.

Now Phrase match: I would go for phrase negative for some queries such as:

"teachers training"
"vacancy for teachers"
"school teacher qualification"

Above queries in phrase exact match because I don't want to block all keywords that has teacher, training and vacancy. At the same time I don't wanna show ads for above terms.

Now Exact Match queries can be:

[international]

[looking for international school tie up]

[slate school]

I think of best suited match type when add negative keywords.

Hope that makes some sense. Above example are just a thought it changes according to clients and goal.

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Adrian,

>> why did I chose to have even single word negatives in phrase match not in exact <<

I guess you had a smart instinct. Kindly do refer to my above explanation please. Their consequence is this:

(a)          "shoes"                     red shoes                   match

(b)          -"shoes"                    red shoes                   excluding

If case you replace phrase match with exact, row (a) is not a match, and row (b)'s status will not be excluding.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

I am the same as you in this regard - using phrase and exact match only for negatives. 

The main reason I do this, is that I am scared that using Broad or BMM as negatives will auto-negative something that is actually relevant. So an example would be:

I run a shoe shop online. I specifically sell Adidas running shoes.

Positive keywords:

running shoes

training shoes

running trainers

Negative keywords:

[women's shoes]

In this example I want to exclude searches which are likely to be looking for smart shoes, high heels, etc... but I won't want to put this on Broad negative because Google might then exclude someone who's actual search query was <women's running trainers>. Does that make sense? I want to exclude that type of women's shoe generic search, but I don't want to exclude women altogether.

On the other hand - negs are a bit of a minefield and I prefer to have maximum exact and phrase matches in my positives so that there is as little dependency on negs as possible :-) 

Does this help refresh your thinking at all? I'm sure someone else will give a much more in depth and technical review of this, but in principle it is to do with safety and not excluding good impressions just because you couldn't be bothered building an exhaustive list of phrase / exact negs.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am wondering why did I chose to have even single word negatives in phrase match not in exact , is there any difference ? I know that negatives do not generate close variants.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian B,

I like to utilize all three match types when it comes to choosing negative keywords. For example: Running Adwords Campaign for "International School - K12".

I prefer to add some common negatives when I start campaign, For this client: I will add in broad match negative keywords such as:

job
jobs
employment
institute

because I don't want client ad to show up for anyone who is looking for job & searching for institutes as mine is school till k-12.

Now Phrase match: I would go for phrase negative for some queries such as:

"teachers training"
"vacancy for teachers"
"school teacher qualification"

Above queries in phrase exact match because I don't want to block all keywords that has teacher, training and vacancy. At the same time I don't wanna show ads for above terms.

Now Exact Match queries can be:

[international]

[looking for international school tie up]

[slate school]

I think of best suited match type when add negative keywords.

Hope that makes some sense. Above example are just a thought it changes according to clients and goal.

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Adrian, I'm not sure on the difference between single word phrase vs. exact difference.

I would think that the single negative word -[shoes] would only exclude shoes, but if you had it as -"shoes" then would it stop the positive query "running shoes" from showing, because the neg phrase is shoes?
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

1. If you negate a BMM it may look like this before you press enter.

-+forex

In the negative keywords list it will read: +forex

I don't have experience with it but the system accepts negative BMM.

2. In general, my best guess is that a negative term will exclude a particular Search Terms in case its positive variant matches it. I know it's not easy to digest. Look at this e.g.

Keyword                Search Term                  Status

(a)     "new shoe"              cheap new shoes              match

(b)     -"new shoe"             cheap new shoes              excluding

In the above example, Google may find that row (a) is a match or not, depending on many factors. When status (a) is a match, status (b) will be excluding. Else it won't. 

3. In practice I agree with both of you in that negative broad match can easily get out of control and it isn't advisable to widely use it. Gut feeling is the same is applicable to BMM, but I don't have personal experience with this match type. That said I think that Neha listed some excellent examples for scenarios when various negative match types can reasonably applied.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Adrian,

>> why did I chose to have even single word negatives in phrase match not in exact <<

I guess you had a smart instinct. Kindly do refer to my above explanation please. Their consequence is this:

(a)          "shoes"                     red shoes                   match

(b)          -"shoes"                    red shoes                   excluding

If case you replace phrase match with exact, row (a) is not a match, and row (b)'s status will not be excluding.

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

>> the single negative word -[shoes] would only exclude shoes, but if you had it as -"shoes" then would it stop the positive query "running shoes" from showin <<

That's correct, Jack. Just replace red with running in the above post.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
cheers, Lakatos. Sometimes I get so muddled up in theories that I confuse myself.

Adrian, does this help any further?
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Jack, your words were easy to follow and the example was very practical also. Most probably they are more useful for 90% of users than formal explanations.

Cheers...: Smiley LOL