AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the best keyword matching type for new campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the best keyword matching type for new campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Santosh,

As you said you are going to start a new ad words campaign and thinking which keyword match type will work best for you. I'll suggest you to set up three new ad-groups separate for Broad Match Modifier, Phrase and Exact and let it run for 7 to 14 days. After that you should analyse the performance of each match type. It will help you to make your decision regarding keywords match type as which will work and which won't. 

Warm Regards:

Arun Jha

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Santosh,

One key consideration should be the available budget for the campaign.

You could use broad match to show your ad to a wide audience or you could use exact match to show the ads to specific groups of customers. Broad match keywords will attract a broader audience, which will require a higher daily budget for your campaigns.

Find more about keyword match types here.

So if your budget is limited, start your campaigns with a restrictive match type (exact or phrase) and if you have a high budget you can consider starting your campaigns with modified broad match keywords.

If you are going to use more than one match type, also pay attention to the bids (bid higher for the more restrictive match type (exact, phrase)  than the modified broad match keywords)

Once you start the campaigns, constantly review the search term report. Optimize the better performing keywords, find and add new profitable keywords from the report and add irrelevant terms as negative keywords.

Learn more about search term report here.

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Santosh,

Choosing matchtypes is a difficult task. You can never predict what works for you.
The thumbrule I use to select match types is by how generic the keywords are. more generic the keywords, the more restrictive the match type.
The core keywords for your product or service should have a balanced mix of all match types.
If your Key Performance Indicators is ROI, you may want to keep restrictive match types so that you spend money only on performing keywords.
One important way I think Broad keywords helps me is for expanding my keyword list. Use the Search terms report and pull out a list of keywords you can to target.
Always remember, broader your keywords, more the number of negative keywords you should add!

When you start an account, if you have a limited budget, I would recommend restrictive match types... 

Please use BMM as a match type as well. It helps with getting a mix of the broad and restrictive match types that you should have.

Here's image that I always use to understand match types and what kind of keywords can trigger my ads:

keyword-match-types.png

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Santosh,

I agree with Deepak on this. You should always give your Budget a consideration when starting a new campaign or account.

Depending on your budget, you can either choose to use just restrictive matchtypes or start straight away with Broad matchtype. You can understand this by using the keyword tool and inserting your keywords to check their search volumes. If you see a large enough search volume but have a limited budget, I suggest you start out with Broad match modifier matchtype, as this will grant your themes enough visibility and at the same allow a level of control over what triggers your ads.

This will also allow you to test your themes out to a good extent, as using just restrictive matchtypes can sometimes restrict your visibility. This does not mean that using restrictive matchtypes is not a good idea. Infact, restrictive matchtypes (Exact & Phrase) can bring quality traffic to your website which in turn can help you record a quality lead.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Very impressive... Nice Info-graphic...

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Santosh, you are lucky to receive such great responses to your question. Hope that was useful. It'd be great if you can come back and let us know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's most strong way of determining the