AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the best approach of selecting keywords when starting adwords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the best approach of selecting keywords when starting adwo

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi JV,

Keywords play a vital role in Google Adwords, If you select a right keywords according to business then you will get right users for your business. Here I have shared this URL "https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en".

Hope this will help you Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Roshan

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Based on your website landing pages, keywords must be relevant to website content, as well as your ad.copies.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi JV,

When Google says "relevant", they mean to the user, not to the ad copy or the landing page.

This was easier when we could get search queries through Analytics. It's a little harder to do now.

I would start with keywords and phrases that are relevant to your customers and prospects. That will get you clicks. The landing page should have copy that is relevant to the customers and also related to the keyword and ad that led to the click. You should know your business by now. Use that knowledge to get started.

Start slowly. Enter a few keywords relevant to your business as BMM. I prefer BMM over broad match. It doesn't produce as many non-performing clicks. Then, run search term reports frequently to find search terms that do perform well. Add those as phrase and/or exact match. Find search terms that have good CTR but no conversions. Add those as negative phrase or exact match.

I've used the Google keyword tool with URL's for landing pages. We're a very small niche market, but, still, Google seemed to have a difficult time figuring out what we actually sell. All indications were they thought we were selling credit cards. I find it good (for us) to identify potential negative keywords, but not much use for identifying good keywords. That's us, it could (and probably does) work better for other people.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

I have one query. You said "Find search terms that have good CTR but no conversions. Add those as negative phrase or exact match." Why should we add such keywords as negative, especially if they are completely relevant to the website/product that's being promoted? This way we might block many relevant terms in near future just because they did not convert. According to me this is not a good practice and a keyword is not bad if it's not converting. I think we need to look into all the factors behind why it's not converting and should definitely give it another chance with different approach to make it convert.

Please share your views.

Thanks,
Ashish

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Also, Pete. Why do you recommend to use bmm without negatives to start with? It's always better to start with exact match keywords, especially if your budget is limited. It's better to perform good keywords research from very beginning to add lots of relevant keywords and negatives if you are using bmm.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Start with Broad and then proceed to phrase or exact as you may need

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Ahish D,

It's a matter of intent. Certain keywords imply intent. Intent can be research or it can be purchase, and the keywords can help you determine that. Let's take a simple example. "Car" vs "Cars". The singular often implies a research intent while the plural implies purchase intent. Usually, you are advertising to generate sales. So why advertise on keywords that don't produce sales? Or, you are advertising to build a contact list for later conversion. If visits from a certain keyword don't submit their contact information, why continue to advertise?

Alexey, why use BMM without negatives? To identify the good and the bad performing search terms. Starting with exact could be a good approach, if you absolutely know what exact keywords will convert. But you are "putting all your eggs in the same basket". I see it as an incalculable risk. For a new account, that could be very difficult to achieve. BMM should limit the number of unrelated queries. And it will help identify candidates for phrase and exact match as well as negative keywords.

My recommendation is to start with a small budget, an amount you can afford to lose. Use keywords that apply to your industry/market. Use BMM to limit the number of unrelated queries. (Broad match is very broad). Then refine your keywords according to performance. If you have keywords that have a good CTR but low conversion, you might consider making a different landing page for those keywords to try to convert. At some point, you are chasing a phantom, that is to say keywords that will never convert.

As your campaigns reach success, increase your budget, but not too much at a time. Larger budgets can change the performance.

I trust the data. Take my advice or not, trust the data. See what works well, see what doesn't work so well, and adjust your campaigns accordingly.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

Thanks for explanation, but I still differ from your views. Your example of "car" vs "cars" - with such broad terms, at least I can not tell which of these implies to search intent and which one to purchase intent. But yes, everyone has their own views of looking at the things. So, perfectly fine.

Secondly, how much time or traffic would you give any keyword before deciding that we should get rid of it as it's not bringing us any sales?

Thank you.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Ashish D,

I'd wait for enough traffic for the results to be statistically significant. Google doesn't adjust the QS to the performance of a keyword in your account/campaign until it has at least 1000 impressions. That's a good place to start.

Car vs cars is a simple example, but often it does hold true, the plural indicates purchase intent, singular indicates research. You can't tell by the keywords themselves, you can tell when you get the results. Test, evaluate, adjust, repeat.

Best of Luck!

Pete