AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the best account structure for remarketing campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a question on account setup for remarketing. Here are two structures I've read about, not sure which is best and why.  Or is there a better way.

Option A) Is it best to have a remarketing campaign for search, a remarketing campaign for display and a remarketging campaign for shopping. Then within each remarketing campaign have a different ad group for each remarketing list I want to target?

For example, If I had a remarketing list based on people who visited page F and another list based on people who visited page G. I would then have one search remarketing campaign and within that campaign have two ad groups - one targeting people who visited page F and one who visited page G. Similarly, I would have one display remarketing campaign as well and within that campaign have an ad group targeting those that visited page F and another ad group targeting those that visited page G.

Option B) Or is it preferable to have a different remarketing campaign for each list I want to target?

So at the campaign level I'd have a search remarketing campaign for people who visited page F, a search remarketing campaign for people who visited page G, a display remarketing campaign for people who visited page F, a display remarketing campaign for people who visited page G, a shopping remarketing campaign for people who visited page F, and a shopping remarketing campaign for people who visited page G. Then within these campaigns I could have different ad groups if needed but all ad groups within a specific campaign would target the same remarketing list.

C) Some other structure?

Not sure if there is an "ideal" structure, what the benefits and drawbacks would be to A and B or if there is something else I should consider.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the best account structure for remarketing campaigns?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Will v

It's hard to give you an answer without knowing more about the kind of site, goals, size of site, etc.

Everything you've described is a pretty complex setup. There's nothing wrong with starting out simple, and then building out to something more complex as the data comes in.

In most cases, search remarketing campaigns should be about what they are searching for, not what pages they have visited.  

I see you mentioned shopping. You might want to try a dynamic remarketing campaign so you don't have to worry about setting up all these rules if you have a lot of different product pages.  More info on that here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3124536?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree with @David Kyle. It's  a matter of personal  preferences, how complex  the campaign  is structured, and the number of ad-groups.  If it's relatively simple I prefer to set a separate campaign for each RM list,  for convenience of reporting and to control the budget.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@David Kyle and @MosheTLV, thanks for the quick response.

To give a little more info.  It is for the skincare brand with 4 products across 3 product categories with plans to grow the product line slowly.  The goal is increase sales.

So for example, I'd like to set up one remarketing list for people who visited the sunscreen product page and another for people who've visited the acne wash product page (in both cases excluding those who've already purchased).  Thus when someone is searching for keyword "top face sunscreen" and they previously visited the sunscreen product page they would see an add for the sunscreen. I would likely set up similar remarketing audiences for the other product pages as well as product category pages and maybe a few other specific pages on the site.

Four questions based on your feedback.

1) @David Kyle - Is using remarketing as described above what you meant by "should be about what they are searching for, not what pages they have visited"?

2) Any chance either of you have an example, or can you point to one on the web, of a simple setup for remarketing?

3) One reason I was hesitant to setup a more simple approach (admittedly I am unsure what a simple approach would exactly look like) is data loss.  If I started with a simple approach, found that certain remarketing audiences were doing better and thus wanted to break them out to give them more attention I am afraid I would lose all the historical data that Adwords uses to optimize the advertising.  But maybe this should not be a big concern?

4) After reading about dynamic remarketing campaigns, it sounds like I give up a little bit of control and hence optimization by using them?  Perhaps this is not the case?  Given the limited set of products I figured doing the remarketing on my own would outweigh the potential optimization / customization lost by using dynamic remarketing but maybe this also should not be a big concern? Dynamic remarketing sounds easier once it's set up.

Also, for Dynamic Remarketing it sounds like you need to implement custom parameters? I don't think the eCommerce platform handles this out of the box so that may also put a stop on it.  The platform does use Universal Analytics and I believe has the ability to use Google Tag Manager but I'm not sure if the knowledge is there to implement custom parameters properly.

Thanks again for the help.  Much appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Will v;

If you don't mind, I'd like to reverse course here;

The products that you are promoting are the  type which is categorized as  instant purchase.These are not the typical product or service a consumer does a research prior to purchasing. So,  my recommendation would be to focus on a conversion (e.g. buying a sunscreen) during the first visit. If you still interested in RM, I would not allocate more than a fraction of the budget to a "classic  RM",  on display, to target  the residual traffic  of users who might not convert during the first visit.

A side note: the products you are promoting are categorized as health care. Make sure that all claims on the landing page are within regulatory approvals, and all regulatory approvals (for the product (e.g., regulatory registration, GMP)  are shown on the landing page.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV - thanks for the advice.  Helpful.