AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the benefit in conversation tracking?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the benefiot in conversation tracking?Is it is just like google analytics?Don't post the google adwords  conversation tracking page support

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the benefit in conversation tracking?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, you can also track your ad campaigns on analytics but having conversion tracking will enable you to manage and optimize your keywords and ads based on the actual conversion data.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

AdWords conversion tracking is generally used to track enquiries or sales that come from your AdWords account where google analytics tracks visitor beahviour on your site. pages viewed, time on site, where they came from etc.

If you run adwords and have a trackable action (sale or enquiry) you would want to use either the adwords conversion tracking code on your thank you page or create a goal in google analytics (your thank you page view) and import this to your adwords account.

I am providing links to the support center as all this information is in there.

Setting up conversion tracking

Conversion tracking and google analytics

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The biggest difference that I see is that if you set up a goal in Analytics you can then import this as a conversion in AdWords (after a few goal completions from AdWords visitors). Thus you can see the same thing in both platforms. You can run the reports you want in Analytics - in terms of seeing pages visited, time on site, bounce rates, etc and which lead to completions (or not) and optimise your site this way.

Then you can run reports in AdWords to see which keywords and ad combinations generate the traffic that converts.

Conversions in AdWords, however, are only available in AdWords - you can't import them into Analytics - and essentially have to set up a goal in Analytics to mirror the AdWords conversion.

The only downside to using the analytics goal is the frustrating delay between the goal completion in Analytics and the corresponding imported conversion in AdWords, which can sometimes be as much as 72 hours.... which means that if you look at the "this week" time window, you can be missing half your conversions....

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Sjpq,

The benefit in using the AdWords conversion code is you can have your shopping cart fill in the actual amount of the sale, making it easier to calculate ROI. You can't do that with Analytics Goals.

If all your sales/conversions have the same value, Goals would be ok to use.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

some of the newer shopping carts will populate the value of an analytics gola - Transaction - with the amounts. I've seen this goal become available for import on one or two client's accounts - and it's not a goal I set up - it just seems to be "built in" to the shopping cart analytics component....

I'll look for a screenshot and post it here tomorrow....

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Here it is...

This conversion becomes available  (only for some clients) once the eCommerce tracknig is activated within Analytics.

I can't see if it is something you have to activate, built in to Analytics or whether it is somehow configured directly by the shopping cart software (I don't have access to the ashopping cart) - but one day it appeared for import and it seems to track the sales value acurately.....

Perhaps others can contribute and let me know where this comes from.... and if it is something that's actually there for all clients using eCommerce reporting.

Screen Shot 2013-04-10 at 09.05.17.png

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Steve,

I hadn't noticed that. Took a look at my account, and sure enough "transactions" was an Analytics conversion available for import, and I had deleted it as it was causing double reporting of each conversion. A little nitpicking on my part now: those are eCommerce transactions, not goals. Goals are something different and when imported to AdWords, each goal completion will show the same amount.

Ok, so what's the remaining advantage of using the AdWords conversion script? It works off a 3rd party cookie, so you can place it on any domain and it will still record the conversion (and value when done right) without additional code for Analytics cross-domain tracking.

Pete

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Good point about being able to track conversions on other sites... just a quick question... Whilst the conversion can be recorded I'm unclear as to whether this can then be attrributed to a source... surely unless there is cross domain tracking in place the system wouldn't know which ad/keyword the conversion came from.

I'm getting myself confused.

I think that for most businesses the transaction conversion would be sufficient - and for a good many would be a lot more than they currently have if my experience is anything to go by....

Finallly - your point about double rpoerting is an issue - I've seen accounts where the same goal was reporting multiple times - reducing the cost per conversion by the same multiple. A real danger - people thinking they are doing OK with a cost per conversion of $10 when actually it's $20...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Steve stickleback,

The AdWords conversion code works with a 3rd party cookie that carries the same source data. No cross-domain tracking is necessary. We were all a bit surprised to learn this last year. The campaign, ad and keyword data is preserved.

Of course, there are drawbacks to using 3rd party cookies as many browsers are set to block 3rd party cookies. So some conversions will not be recorded. Same if the user clears all cookies or "tracking" cookies.

About double reporting. I stumbled on this after having setup my account wrong. I had the conversion code on the thank you page and I was importing goal completions as conversions AND I had the transaction conversion going as well. It took me a while to figure out what was going on and a little longer to solve the problem. I added some custom Javascript to my pages to track AdWords clicks through our shopping cart (which is on a separate domain) and identify specific AdWords conversions. It still doesn't quite match up, but it is close.

At that point I thought my AdWords campaign was a disaster. Then I looked at the multi-channel reports and analysed the behavior of customer who came to us through AdWords. Turns out we had a number of assisted conversions I hadn't been counting, and the average AdWords source customer made several repeat purchases shortly after the first purchase, but beyond the 30 day window. I have a much better basis for evaluation of the campaigns at this point.