AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the behaviour or ADWARDS running campaign for specific area?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have Campaign that is a month + some days.

Right now, the campaign is running for the whole country.

How can I know which areas in country the campaign ran? (For big countries).
In Adwords or Google Analytics?

Also, if I doing campaign for specific big country -
Does google adwords doing the addvertisement, by algorithm that for each day
(or a period) it is done on other area.

I mean:
1st day - area A.
2nd day - area B.
3rd day - area C.

and so on (can be 1st week - area A, etc.)?

Does google act like the above algorithm?

Thanks Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: What is the behaviour or ADWARDS running campaign for specific are

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Eitan,

When targeting a large country, like the US, if you've not set up specific separate Location targets (such as States) then you can see split data for individual areas in AdWords by looking at the Dimensions tab, then View - Geographic.  However, I find this screen quite difficult to read and Analytics does a much nicer job of displaying your click activity by geographical area.  Just go to Analytics, select "Paid Traffic" as a segment, then view Audience - Geo - Location.

If you do specify individual areas to target - and I would recommend you do - then AdWords will display data against your targets and that's much easier to read.  So, for example, if you targeted California, Texas and Florida, when viewing Settings... Locations, you'll see data against each of those States.  Another advantage of doing this is that you can apply bid modifiers to each State depending upon their performance.

As far as time goes, AdWords will attempt to serve your Ads across your entire targeted area evenly - there's no algorithm that targets Area A on Monday, Area B on Tuesday, etc.  Since an AdWords Account takes its time from the Account setting, and an AdWords "day" begins at midnight, this can mean you get an uneven spread of delivery if your targeted area crosses time zones.

For example, if you targeted California and Florida in the same Campaign, and clicks typically began at 9am when people get to work, Florida will have received 3 hours of clicks before California even begins and if you're using an accelerated delivery, or have a restricted budget, you might find California gets an unfair deal.

always recommend, for larger Campaigns, that Campaigns are split by Time Zone to make sure the data you see is fair and relevant and to allow for proper ad scheduling adjustments.    If your Campaign is very small and  only spends a couple of hundred dollars a month, it's probably not worth splitting by time zone, but if it's larger - certainly once you're into the thousands per month - it can be essential to make such a split.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Eitan,

When targeting a large country, like the US, if you've not set up specific separate Location targets (such as States) then you can see split data for individual areas in AdWords by looking at the Dimensions tab, then View - Geographic.  However, I find this screen quite difficult to read and Analytics does a much nicer job of displaying your click activity by geographical area.  Just go to Analytics, select "Paid Traffic" as a segment, then view Audience - Geo - Location.

If you do specify individual areas to target - and I would recommend you do - then AdWords will display data against your targets and that's much easier to read.  So, for example, if you targeted California, Texas and Florida, when viewing Settings... Locations, you'll see data against each of those States.  Another advantage of doing this is that you can apply bid modifiers to each State depending upon their performance.

As far as time goes, AdWords will attempt to serve your Ads across your entire targeted area evenly - there's no algorithm that targets Area A on Monday, Area B on Tuesday, etc.  Since an AdWords Account takes its time from the Account setting, and an AdWords "day" begins at midnight, this can mean you get an uneven spread of delivery if your targeted area crosses time zones.

For example, if you targeted California and Florida in the same Campaign, and clicks typically began at 9am when people get to work, Florida will have received 3 hours of clicks before California even begins and if you're using an accelerated delivery, or have a restricted budget, you might find California gets an unfair deal.

always recommend, for larger Campaigns, that Campaigns are split by Time Zone to make sure the data you see is fair and relevant and to allow for proper ad scheduling adjustments.    If your Campaign is very small and  only spends a couple of hundred dollars a month, it's probably not worth splitting by time zone, but if it's larger - certainly once you're into the thousands per month - it can be essential to make such a split.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I didn't understand.
Where can I check the geographic areas which has the activities?
When pressing "settings -> "Geographic" I see the activities by countries (And not specific region in the country which has the activity).

It is worthwhile knowing which region, so I can focus on advertising to a specific region of the specific country (So I will focus on regions where there are more registration to my site - BTW, does Google-Analytics send feedback to Google-Adwords, for good registration, payment etc., for promote automatically the adwords to specific regions somehow - If not, Google may consider of that as good attitude for promotion - That's my little advise for GOOGLE).

How can I do the above?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ethian,

You can see the performance of Campaigns under Dimensions tab, after that you have to click on "View" and select Geographic, please see the below screenshot.

Untitled.png

After that click on columns and then you can add the Region or Metro area or city etc. and then you will be able to see the performance by geographic area. Please see the below screenshot.

Untitled - 1.png

Now you can take required actions regarding bid or budgets.

Regards,

Rupesh