AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the average cost of a pre roll ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I know this is a very general question, but I would like to know what would be considered as a "normal cost" range if I want to put my ad as a pre roll on Youtube.

Also, do I have to pay if it is skipped?

Thanks so much!

Ed Alfaro.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the average cost of a pre roll ad?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Eduardo,

There's really no way to answer this question. There are different billing types and costs depending on your business goals and many other factors. 

With True View video formats, you are not required to pay if a video is skipped. Here is some more information about getting started with Video ad pricing. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot.

I'm new to this world (student who just graduated), and need to do a pre roll campaign for someone. Just one more question...

Assuming I choose True View format, does the price I have to pay (per click) depend on the video it is being played on?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What I'm asking, basically, is what are the factors that determine the price I have to pay per click or view?

Thanks community!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sadly, Google doesn't post any rates. They want you to create an ad campaign and jump through all kinds of hoops just for you to find out that you should have zigged when you zagged or that someone else will offer the prerolls for 1/2 the price. I've gotten to the point where my time is just too valuable and I refuse to play this game. If you can't post a price upfront so I can plan my meager ad budget accordingly then forget it, I'll look else where.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Sorry to pop in but I think its more of a skill to tune in the right price for your campaigns after analyzing all the data &colonSmiley Wink

And Eduardo as Shanea mentioned there is no static price like that.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by KathleenG (Community Manager)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi EDUARDO A,

This other thread might help you with your question: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/YouTube-TrueView-In-Stream-Ad-How-Do-I-Pla...

Me, too, Is having a problem before, on quoting a price for my client about YouTube TrueView pre-roll ad. When you're about to create your first TrueView campaign, under the budget section, you can input your desired budget and correspondingly it will give you an estimated views per day. You may want to use that data as a baseline, to give your client a picture of what they can get with you managing their pre-roll ad. Note that this is my strategy and may or may not be used by other fellow people in the same field.

Thanks!