AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the average bounce rate for AdWords ads?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

What is the average bounce rate for AdWords' ads? I have been scavenging the Internet, but cannot seem to find an answer. 

I know bounce rate depends on the industry and the type of landing page, but is there an overall bounce rate average?

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the average bounce rate for AdWords ads?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nick,

I don't believe there has been a published average of all AdWords accounts because they can vary so widely. May I ask for a little bit more context around how you would like to use this data?

Bounce rate is a bit of a hot topic. It's a good gauge for understanding if there's an issue with your traffic or pages on your site but it really shouldn't be used as a KPI on it's own. It would be good to take a look at your bounce rate for AdWords compared to other channels, if you're trying to understand whether your AdWords traffic is qualified. If you're hoping to better understand which pages could use a little bit more help in terms of conversion optimization, it might be good to look at goal funnels and exit pages to see where people are leaving the site.

It's always good to do conversion testing, as well, to continuously improve conversion rate, independently of bounce rate. Depending on your goals, this might impact your bounce rate positively, negatively or not at all.

Hope this helps a bit!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nick,

Like Amy said, you are not likely to find a single value. There are general guidelines but no hard and fast numbers as there are number of factors influencing bounce rates.

I think you are asking so that you can gauge the performance of an existing campaign? If you are wanting to see how good a campaign is doing, you can look at a number of other indicators including conversion rates, conversions and cost per conversion. You want your campaigns to be highly targeted and you want clicks to your landing page to "convert." Check the Search Terms report to see if you have any search terms you do not want your ads to show against. Can you improve the ad copy, including the ad's call to action? Can you improve the landing page (typos, broken links or no links, too wordy, not enough describing the key benefits and features of your product or service, etc.)? Are you tracking conversions, including and revenue generation? Can you improve any of these while maintaining the current daily budget? Will increasing the budget or max. cpc improve the conversions?

In short, look to see how you can improve your campaign's performance as it relates to business goals of the campaigns. Your bounce rates may be "better" than the "industry average," but does this mean your campaign is getting the best value per dollar spent?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I'll throw a number out there... Usually it's much higher than your SEO bounce rate. So, I'd say above 50% is normal. I've seen great campaigns have a bounce rate of 80% or even higher.

Keep in mind that if the user does not leave the landing page, then that's a "bounce" -- So a campaign with a clear CTA to make a phone call, can very well be successful with a 100% bounce rate.

Don't get stuck on one number. Look at all of your stats to form a complete picture.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey Nick,

Some of the excellent thoughts shared above!

I don't think there are any statistics around an average Bounce Rate overall. But to give you an idea on this important metric, I would definitely encourage you to go through this official video where famous Digital Marketing Evangelist Avinash Kaushik talks about this interesting metric:-

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi All,
Have you checked out the new-ish Benchmarking Report in Google Analytics? Bounce rate is one of the figures you can compare your website against advertisers in a similar grouping or demographic.

Check out this information on Benchmarking Report: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6086666

Kathleen