AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is the Future of Websites?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yesterday, I wrote a blog on Mobile apps that in Future usability of mobile will increase more and same for Mobile apps. Then I thought, what if Websites become obsolete?

Like, PC's are obsolete in today's time and so laptops are going to be, so may be 10 years down the line websites will become obsolete and everything on a smartphone will be operated through mobile app.

Is there any possibility of this, if I am right?

If Yes, then What could be the scenario of Advertising other than Pop up ads?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arpit A
September 2015

Re: What is the Future of Websites?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

It's quite a statement to say that "PC's are obsolete"; there are many professions that still require the power and flexibility that desktops offer, notably in high-end graphic design, video and sound.  I had to edit a movie on a laptop once and it's not an experience I'd want to repeat any time soon.  It's all about the right tool for the job.  If you're a  "typical" Internet user who mostly browsers, posts socially and makes purchases online, then a portable device is probably all you need and the choice between a desktop and a portable device is easy because if both can meet your requirements fully, you may as well go for the one you can carry around with you.

However, if you need power, and multiple big screens, a full sized keyboard and multiple connections to external devices and you do the majority of your work from the same location, a desktop is going to be the better bet.

I think what's likely to happen in the future is that we'll see a blurring of these device types - and it's already happening to some extent.  Let's say I could take my mobile phone and add a "useful" full sized keyboard and a half-decent sized screen to it that I can carry around in my pocket.  Do I need a laptop then?  There are already solutions for the keyboard (I've tried a few) but the truly portable screen isn't here yet.  When it is, I think we'll see mobiles becoming the "portable" device replacing laptops.

What about desktops?  If a mobile can replace a laptop then surely it will, one day, be able to replace a desktop fully in terms of power and display capabilities.  I can easily imagine a time when I just sit at my desk as I am now and have my two large monitors and a full keyboard in front of me, but the "system unit" is still sat on the kitchen table, connected by whatever wireless system we're using then.

So, I think the future of devices will tend towards a single device that can take many roles, but we're a few years away from that yet and there are significant problems in terms of display power, screen technology, processing power and battery life that need to be solved before this single device replaces everything.

The future of websites will be driven by the hardware and the usage, as it has always been.  We wouldn't have mobile apps today if we didn't have powerful mobile devices.  Like the hardware itself, I see websites and mobile apps blurring for many businesses.  If the app is a nicer way to deal with the business, why not run the app as the website itself?  At the moment, there are many sites that don't work better on a mobile app, but that's only because they really need a bigger screen/better resolution so when that's solved for mobile devices, this obstruction goes away.

Advertising really won't change that much.  Search will still exist in some way, so we're only talking about the GDN and that already has in-app advertising and advertising on YouTube.  Many of the apps I have installed now have Ads on them and if you run a GDN Campaign today you'll see a lot of app placements.

I don't really see much change, to be honest.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Arpit A,
Hello I think you're partly correct. Computers and laptops are becoming obsolete at least that's what graphs in some high-end technology countries is showing - In some cases/countries mobile devices triple the amount of impressions in comparsion with desktops.
So this is happening. But there is still high amount of countries, when people are not that used to using mobile devices everyday for everything or they don't have money to buy phone at the price of the desktop computer. Where desktops are still leading. If I said in some high end countries mobile devices are dominating. In some other not that wealthy countries are desktops dominating over the mobile devices just as much.

So mobile devices are are future. Somewhere it is happening as we speak, somewhere it might take few more years or decades to get to this point.

But I wouldn't say mobile apps are good for everything. This is my personal opinion, I think mobile apps especially for websites/eshops are obsolete, since every modern website is providing such a beautiful experience in browser you don't need an app for that. It would be just redundant.

Alex

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes Alex, you are correct. In some countries desktops are still dominating and mobile apps still does not provide a better experience.

However, this can also find a solution. If I take an example, say in top three mobile users countries businesses are turning their focus on Mobile apps and then the benefit of this they get traffic outside of metro cities.

So, I think they will keep working on Mobile apps and it may happen that in these countries Mobile Apps will dominate over websites.

In this case, scenario of advertisement will totally change.

Arpit

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
i think the demand of websites can't be eliminated , because one may get info from apps but thats where he also needs a website for this apps. so it is parallel each other. Yes, the trends goes forward to mobile optimization sites than PC , it's meaning-able as well. Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Arpit A,

It's correct that in a few years PC will go to the museum and day by day Laptop acquire the place. Mobile is the Future Techonology. Which is lead the world by its demand. But website are not obsolete. Apps in the on going techonology in the world. If you want to create an apps you must needed an website. So i think it's not possible to obsolete the website.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes you are right. Mobile optimized size will be there. Then, advertisement will be more for mobiles then desktop. May be then some new concepts and terms will be introduced by Google.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Abu Muhammed Y

Thank you for sharing your views.

Arpit

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arpit A
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

It's quite a statement to say that "PC's are obsolete"; there are many professions that still require the power and flexibility that desktops offer, notably in high-end graphic design, video and sound.  I had to edit a movie on a laptop once and it's not an experience I'd want to repeat any time soon.  It's all about the right tool for the job.  If you're a  "typical" Internet user who mostly browsers, posts socially and makes purchases online, then a portable device is probably all you need and the choice between a desktop and a portable device is easy because if both can meet your requirements fully, you may as well go for the one you can carry around with you.

However, if you need power, and multiple big screens, a full sized keyboard and multiple connections to external devices and you do the majority of your work from the same location, a desktop is going to be the better bet.

I think what's likely to happen in the future is that we'll see a blurring of these device types - and it's already happening to some extent.  Let's say I could take my mobile phone and add a "useful" full sized keyboard and a half-decent sized screen to it that I can carry around in my pocket.  Do I need a laptop then?  There are already solutions for the keyboard (I've tried a few) but the truly portable screen isn't here yet.  When it is, I think we'll see mobiles becoming the "portable" device replacing laptops.

What about desktops?  If a mobile can replace a laptop then surely it will, one day, be able to replace a desktop fully in terms of power and display capabilities.  I can easily imagine a time when I just sit at my desk as I am now and have my two large monitors and a full keyboard in front of me, but the "system unit" is still sat on the kitchen table, connected by whatever wireless system we're using then.

So, I think the future of devices will tend towards a single device that can take many roles, but we're a few years away from that yet and there are significant problems in terms of display power, screen technology, processing power and battery life that need to be solved before this single device replaces everything.

The future of websites will be driven by the hardware and the usage, as it has always been.  We wouldn't have mobile apps today if we didn't have powerful mobile devices.  Like the hardware itself, I see websites and mobile apps blurring for many businesses.  If the app is a nicer way to deal with the business, why not run the app as the website itself?  At the moment, there are many sites that don't work better on a mobile app, but that's only because they really need a bigger screen/better resolution so when that's solved for mobile devices, this obstruction goes away.

Advertising really won't change that much.  Search will still exist in some way, so we're only talking about the GDN and that already has in-app advertising and advertising on YouTube.  Many of the apps I have installed now have Ads on them and if you run a GDN Campaign today you'll see a lot of app placements.

I don't really see much change, to be honest.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Jon_Gritton

Thank you for sharing your experience and views. Very well explained.

Arpit

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You are most welcome and If you have further query feel free to ask, I'm willing to help my best.
Thanks