AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is "Anonymous" in placements? How do I target relevant pages with "Anonymous" placements?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi.  When I search for placements, either in Display Planner or under targeting, I see the name "Anonymous".  What is "Anonymous"?  Is it a website that won't disclose it's name?  Her is an example of "Anonymous" in this image:

anonymous_placement.png

If "Anonymous" is a website that won't disclose it's name, is there a way to find out the URL?  For these "Anonymous" websites, how can I ensure that my ad is placed on the relevant page on that website?  For example, if I am targeting Ford vehicle customers, how can I ensure that my ad only appears on pages related to "Ford" on an "Anonymous" site?  (ie. if the "Anonymous" website is for all car makers and it has pages for Honda, BMW, Ford, etc, I only want my ad to appear on the "Ford" pages and not the pages dedicated to Honda and BMW).

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2016

Re: What is "Anonymous" in placements? How do I target relevant pages with "Anonymous

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
This really is an interesting question and one which has at least three or four sides to it...

Anonymous does, indeed, mean that a website has decided not to have it's name published.

There are some good reasons why this might be. Consider a large, successful site that has it's own sales team out selling banner ads. These sites always have remnant space which they will often hand over to Google to get "something rather than nothing" - but they do not want this remnant space to be readily targeted - hence they do not promote themselves directly and prefer that people are unable to see that they were actually able to buy a nice placement through the display network when that same slot may have cost them a lot more as part of an advertising contract.

With anonymous placements you simply have to monitor and see if they work for you.

-

View solution in original post

Re: What is "Anonymous" in placements? How do I target relevant pages with "Anonymous

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Gadwin,

Unfortunately you're correct, 'Anonymous' are websites that don't want to disclose their names to advertisers.
I always add these sites as negatives as you never know where your advert will end up.
A lot of advertisers believe these sites to be quite spammy, as why wouldn't you want to disclose to people where their adverts would be appearing?

Hope this helps,

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Gadwin G,

This is a really important and fundamental query for many advertisers. Basically you hit the nail on the head, they don't want to disclose their names. 

Here is the answer to you: "You can access the reporting statistics of your ad placement by check-marking the “anonymous.google” placement and clicking on the “See Details” button. This will give you a break up of individual anonymous publishers. From there, you can also choose to exclude them using Placement Exclusions."

You may want to read the entire article posted by Google Employee @Sonakshi A here:

***   What does "anonymous.google" mean in my Placement Performance Report?   ***

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/What-does-quot-anonymous-go...

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
This really is an interesting question and one which has at least three or four sides to it...

Anonymous does, indeed, mean that a website has decided not to have it's name published.

There are some good reasons why this might be. Consider a large, successful site that has it's own sales team out selling banner ads. These sites always have remnant space which they will often hand over to Google to get "something rather than nothing" - but they do not want this remnant space to be readily targeted - hence they do not promote themselves directly and prefer that people are unable to see that they were actually able to buy a nice placement through the display network when that same slot may have cost them a lot more as part of an advertising contract.

With anonymous placements you simply have to monitor and see if they work for you.

-

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for all the responses! I have a few more questions to ask about Anonymous placements so I'll ask it in a new thread. Thanks.