AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is and How do you find long-tail Keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen!

I recently launched my AdWords, and I was told by a friend that I need to use long-tail keywords. Based on some reading and research, I understand the basics of a long-tail keyword, but ive been searching and I cant find a way to effectively find a long-tail keyword.

I greatly appreciate anyone's input on this,as i know it may be a safely guarded secret! Thanks so much in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is and How do you find long-tail Keywords?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

To find keywords made from more than 2 words, try the integrated Keyword Planner .Details here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770?hl=en

The way to find them is to start by typing a shorter keyword from 1-2 words and look in the suggestions provided by the system for keywords from more words ( 3,4,5 ). 

You will notice lower traffic for these keywords and some may lead to a notification of "Low Search volume", especially if you target a small geographic location.

Another source of long tail keywords is your own Search Terms report, after you start a campaign and gain some traffic, or the webmaster tools queries report for organic traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Adrian for you swift response, and I am truly sorry for my late one. Just been busy trying to optimise my AdWords account.

In response to your post regarding the integrated Keyword Planner, what are the key figures that need to be considered to determine the effectiveness of a long tail keyword? As an example, do you look for a keyword that is - 3-5 words long + gets decent traffic + medium competition + low cost? Or some variant?

It then begs the question, what are important attributes that AdWords users should look for in a Long Tail Keyword?

Thank you so much in advance for your input!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

When using the keyword planner, I only look at the search volume of the keyword.

The variables "competition" and "cost" are an estimates, a volatile average between maybe hundreds of advertisers using the same keyword, and the real numbers depend on the relevance of your own Ads so it is something to "test to find out" .

"what are important attributes that AdWords users should look for in a Long Tail Keyword?"

Like any other keyword, it should generate conversions or at least assist conversions to be worth keeping it. This is why you have to give time to a keyword to gather data , for example 50-100 clicks to decide if there is no conversion, then you have to delete the keyword and add it as a negative.

Do not add hundreds of long tail keywords from 5 words from your research/imagination , just for the conforting feeling of having your business covered for all possible word variations.

Rather add the 3 "root words" from a group of keywords made from 5 words and let traffic be gathered by a single keyword. Add a 5 words keyword only if you find out from the Search terms report that a person really typed those words and clicked your Ad.

If I have "low search volume" long tail keywords, I like to separate them in their own ad group.

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.