AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is "comptetion" column in keyword research tool?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I found Competition section in keyword planner tool while researching for keywords, but couldn't get the meaning of it, I mean that how does it help me in the anlysis of the competition ?

I expect your acknowledgement .

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author gunjal s
September 2015

Re: What is "comptetion" column in keyword research

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Gunjal,

This column is simply an indication of the competition that you can expect on this keyword. Treat as a scale that ranges from 0 (no competition) to 1 (every man and his dog is bidding on the keyword).

AdWords describes it as the following:

"Competition: The number of advertisers that showed on each keyword relative to all keywords across Google. Note that this data is specific to the location and Search Network targeting that you've selected. In the "Competition" column, you can see whether the competition for a keyword is low, medium, or high."

You can learn more here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575?hl=en

Remember that the column only represents advertisers bidding on the keyword and not organic competition.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author gunjal s
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Gunjal,

This column is simply an indication of the competition that you can expect on this keyword. Treat as a scale that ranges from 0 (no competition) to 1 (every man and his dog is bidding on the keyword).

AdWords describes it as the following:

"Competition: The number of advertisers that showed on each keyword relative to all keywords across Google. Note that this data is specific to the location and Search Network targeting that you've selected. In the "Competition" column, you can see whether the competition for a keyword is low, medium, or high."

You can learn more here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575?hl=en

Remember that the column only represents advertisers bidding on the keyword and not organic competition.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Clynton. but actually I was just wondering how this value is calculated, please do share you ave this information.

And again many thanks for your replies.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Gunjal,

The number is simply a ratio of the number of competitors on that keyword in comparison to 'the most competitive' keyword within your settings.

So if you are targeting the UK and Google knows that "insurance" is the keyword that is most bid on in that region with 100 competitors. You want to know the competition for our keyword of "Buy Flowers", which Google knows there are currently 56 people bidding on it then your competition level would be 0.56, as it is 56% of the competition in comparison to the most competitive keyword in that region.

That is a simplistic way at looking at it, but it should give you an idea of what is happening.

In practice though, you should use that column as an indicator of competition as opposed to an actual figure to be manipulated. take anything less than 0.35 as low, anything less than 0.7 as medium and anything more than 0.7 as high. Adjust as you feel comfortable with, but the metric is simply indicative of competition and does not tell you how many competitors there are, as this information is not given to us.

Hope this helps

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yup, it also help me most. Thanks sir.