AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What is a good CTR for a search network ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems to me that the CTR is a direct function of the wording of the search ad. I want to try several different ad wordings but would like to have some kind of bench mark. Thanks for the help. Chuck

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is a good CTR for a search network ad?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chuck B,

Yes, the wording of your ad and it's relationship to the keyword that triggered your ad have a big effect on CTR, and that means Quality Score.

The thing to do is organize your keywords into AdGroups by a tightly knit themes, so that all keywords in the group pertain to the same ad copy you create in those groups. Start with at least 2 ads of different wording in the group. After getting sufficient impressions, clicks and conversions, determine the "winner" of the 2 ads. Keep the good one as your benchmark, then write new copy with the goal of beating your benchmark.

You can run more than 2 ads in a group. Just be sure you are testing small differences in the ads so you can assess what makes improvements and what doesn't.

Good performance is different for every advertiser. Set your goals, then try to meet them.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: What is a good CTR for a search network ad?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
There are many factors that will affect the CTR of an ad, and as Pete points out - the resonance between the keyword and the ad copy is a big one.

But there is more - the ad position impacts, influenced in large part by the bid - but one of the often overlooked factors is the competition and the ads that are around yours.

When all the ads that are triggered by a keyword are the same - same headlines, same style, look and feel - then the ad that is different stands out.

There are many things to consider and testing is your best approach. But studying competitor ads is a one other way to move forward.