4.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What if any 3rd Party Tools do I need?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are a manufacturer with a large ecommerce presense. We have always outsourced our PPC. Recently, we decided to bring it in house, since the agency is not doing to good any more.

Are there any tools we need with managing 20,000+ keywords with a 70K budget? Are there services that help find opportunities and things like that?

Another Question: We are going through the certification process now. Are there any classes or education that you guys recommend? 

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What if any 3rd Party Tools do I need?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Onalesa,

There are many tools built right into the Adwords platform that may assist you in the management of your account.  I would definitely encourage you and your team to take advantage of the Adwords Editor, I find it to be quite useful when dealing with large numbers of keywords.  I also like the ability to work 'offline'. 

Sounds like quite a challenge you have ahead of you but you've found a great resource here. This community is full of very experienced professionals that will help you out as much as possible.

I'm not a 3rd party tool user personally so I can't speak to that (I'm sure some others here can) but I can say there was a thread not to long ago regarding Adwords Certification.  I happened to take the exams not too long ago and posted a quick rundown of what to expect.

Good Luck!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Onalesa, as Tom has said, that's quite a challenge and one not to be taken lightly.  70K (in pretty much any currency) is a substantial amount and will require a fair degree of experience to manage effectively without loss.  20K keywords is also a very substantial number and would need an equal amount of experience and time to manage efficiently.

Can I ask how you intend to bring the management in house?  An account of this size/(presumed) importance could require many hours per month of dedicated time and I'd be concerned if you were planning simply to hand these duties to an existing employee.

All of this notwithstanding, Certification is a good start, but like any educational label, it's no substitute for experience.  Learning for the exams leading to certification will give you the facts about Adwords (which button to push and where) and will give you some background on the whys of operating in certain ways, but only once you actually operate an account will you begin to learn exactly how it all hangs together.  Doing this on a large, expensive account makes me very nervous.

How are you taking over the account?  Is it "yours" (i.e. were your previous managers operating under an MCC, with the account itself being in your name)?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I strongly agree with Tom and Jon that "quite a challenge you have ahead of you but you've found a great resource here".

In addition to Tom's suggestions, I would urge you, after getting familiar with AdWords basics, to add to your arsenal of tools Google Analytics, which will take you to next level in your AdWords site performance tracking.

Having said that, I should note, that AdWords does require basic learning before "jumping in". Please take advantage of the excellent "learn with Google" training center prior to start using AdWords.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the replies. I am going to take the lead on Adwords. I currently run all aspects of  internet marketing for the company. This is the only marketing avenue we no longer do in house. Personally, I am scared to death to take this on, but the company wants me to.

They are willing to pay for what education is needed, so that is a plus. We DO NOT take this lightly! That is why I am getting a feel from the community. I have been doing internet marketing for around 9 years, but never touched PPC.

It will not be handed off to a random employee. It is a project that was handed to me.

That is why I was wondering if big companies use any third party tools, and what education is out there.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Onalesa;

I, personally, love self-learning (on-line) AdWords courses, provided free of charge, as part of "learn with Google" training program.

However, if you are looking for a beginners seminar, held in class, (frontal teaching), you can register to one of the "seminars for sucess", that covers AdWords 101, 201 and 301.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi again Onalesa, well, you've put my mind at rest a little... Smiley Happy

Are you able to leave the account running "as is" while you learn?  Or will you have to start from scratch?

Have you considered a "half-way house"?  Get a management company to oversee the account and at the same time give you advice on the hows and whys?  I've done this with a few clients in your situation - I manage the account initially but at the same time encourage the client to ask questions (and, of course, the account is their's and they have full access at all times).  This could give you the best of both worlds:  you have a "safety net" of an expert but at the same time you'll move steadily towards being able to run it yourself.

I hope you appreciate my concern.  Adwords is a wonderful program but it's absurdly easy to make a small mistake that can cost a reasonable percentage of your budget.  When the budget is £100 a month, that's not necessarily much of a problem.  If it's £70K a month, that's a different matter.

Whatever you do, I'd certainly encourage you to become familiar with this forum and post as many questions as you like, as often as you can.  There are some cracking experts here who can give excellent help and guidance and since they're from all over the globe, you can usually get a reply within a couple of hours.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits