AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What has been your most successful text ad and how did it evolve?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Interested in seeing what has been your most successful text ad and what was the original ad it came from?

What was the reason behind the changes you made?

Did you encounter anything you didn't expect?

Did that ad change how you approached writing ads in the future?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What has been your most successful text ad and how did it evolve?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Jake, how are things?

Those are very nice quetions. Can you tell us if this is something that you just want to have an open discussion, or is it something that you hope to learn from?

Depending on what you hope to achieve, we can direct better answers for you Smiley Happy

Let us know.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I run a campaign for a dentist... we realised that a lot of our conversions were happening on a Monday morning.

We reflected on this and came to the conclusion that many people had avoided calling towards the end of the week hoping (as we all do) that the toothache might just go away on its own.

Over the weekend, instead of going away it got worse. We wrote a small series of ads that run on Monday morning that include a "promise" that "we'll try and fit you in today". These outperformed our other ads by multiple of about 2.5 ;-)

Connecting with the searchers pain (literally in this case) will usually help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Steve

Great reply. Very interesting.

So you created a separate adgroup to only run on Monday morning?

Did you try run it on Tuesday? Or throughout the rest of the week in the morning? (In case people got toothache in the evening and were going to call first thing) If so, how did it perform? Was it much less effective than on Monday morning?

How often do you A/B test your ads?

Thanks!

Jake

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leandro

Thanks for your reply

Honestly, I'm fairly new to Adwords so hoping to learn what has actually worked for people. I understand that writing a relevant and an effective ad is what will get people to click and, provide your landing page works, hopefully convert.

I’ve been looking into writing effective ad copy and found some ways to improve your ad like tell the customer what you can do for them, use you, your etc, use numbers and local phone numbers/extensions.

But even if you write an ad that you think will work it might not and something unexpected might actually prove much more effective. Interested in seeing how you changed your ad, what ended up working and what were the reasons for the change.

Thanks

Jake

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Jake O although your questions are great, they're actually quite difficult to answer helpfully as every Account is different, and what works for one person may not work at all for you.  Some general guidelines, though...

As @stickleback has suggested, try to connect with the audience.  So very often I see Ads that are little more than a description of the business with no enticement, no "call to action".  Think about the Ads that attract you (online, in print or on TV) and look for the "hook", what attracted you and made that Ad stand out?

Immediacy is good.  I've run several tests with the words "Today" (as in "Call us Today!") and "Now" and "now" always wins hands down.  Don't let the fish get away, if they're attracted by your Ad, make them act upon it now, don't suggest they can wait and do it later.

Don't be afraid to talk in plain English.  So often Ads tend to use really formal language and don't "talk" the way you and I do.  Try some copy that's more user-friendly and approachable, tell a joke (if you can within 70 characters!), have fun.

Always test multiple variations of your Ads in a single Group - I'd usually recommend at least 3.  However, try to make the variations slight so that it's easy to determine what was the "thing" that made one Ad work better than another.  For example, as I mentioned above, if you have three Ads, one that called to action with "Call Us!", one with "Call Us Today!" and one with "Call Us Now!", but were identical in every other way, then if you saw consistent differences in performance it's easy to point to this one term as the cause.  If your Ads are too different from each other, although you can still pick one as a winner, it's much harder to know why it was the winner, so harder to build new variations using that information.

Be "of the moment".  Many products have a seasonal variation and even those that don't have anything obvious might be affected by things like the weather, public holidays, weekends and so on.  Consider having seasonal variations of your Ads or having different Ads for the weekend or for each day of the week.  There are automation tools that can help with this.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon

Thanks for the reply.

Excellent advice. Really helpful. I’ve added all this to my text ad "cheat sheet”!

I feel like, as you and Steve said, creating a sense of urgency seems to be an essential part of a good text ad, that’s definitely something I will keep in mind.

I think the best way for me to learn now is just make a campaign and see what works. My brother runs an online business so I have the ideal test account!

Thanks for your help.

Jake