AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What happens when I raise CPC?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone! I have a question about what exactly happens when I raise the CPC. 

Let's say I have the CPC at $1 and currently get an average of 1000 clicks, and the average for the 1000 clicks I get comes to be about $1, to make it easier. My budget is set to $1,000 per day. 

What happens when I raise the CPC to $2 and raise my budget to $2,000? Would I get the same amount of clicks, but more expensive, because google determines them to be a better quality, or would I continue to get my 1000 clicks at a dollar range, and additionally get more expensive clicks as well until my budget terms are met?

I wan't to raise the CPC to get more clicks, but I do not want to lose the 1000 clicks per day for the price that I am currently getting. 

Hope this is clear. What should I do?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: What happens when I raise CPC?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Doubling you bid doesn't double your clicks. It does however make you eligible for more auctions that might have been out of your reach before. So your clicks could improve, but in contrast 1000 could be all the traffic already and therefore raising the CPC wouldn't cause more people to search. Auctions are search based so we are always at the mercy of the end users wants/needs.

You should maintain your 1000 clicks if everything else stays constant, but your CPC average will rise as you start gaining clicks at your modified higher CPC.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Boris R
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
If the search is limited and everything stays constant and your raise your bid then your CPC will not go up. Everything is auctioned based but like I said if everything stays constant your CPC average wouldn't go up.

But if you are limiting your own search and would like to capture more. Raising your bid and capturing more search that has a higher bid to compete with others then you CPC average will go up.

For example. Let say you don't rank on the first page for "used car" at $1, but you rank 1 for term "used suv" for $1. If you raise your CPC to $2 your ranking for "used suv" will remain the same but you ranking for "used car" will also go up because you are willing to pay more. Therefore if you capture more search when raise your CPC then almost inherently your overall average will increase because you are capturing more terms that you couldn't before.

Hopefully I am getting at what you are asking.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Doubling you bid doesn't double your clicks. It does however make you eligible for more auctions that might have been out of your reach before. So your clicks could improve, but in contrast 1000 could be all the traffic already and therefore raising the CPC wouldn't cause more people to search. Auctions are search based so we are always at the mercy of the end users wants/needs.

You should maintain your 1000 clicks if everything else stays constant, but your CPC average will rise as you start gaining clicks at your modified higher CPC.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply. Let's assume that the amount of the search is limited in my case, why would raising the CPC increase my average? Would google just take more money for the same searches? In my case the search traffic available is a lot more than what I am buying now.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Boris R
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
If the search is limited and everything stays constant and your raise your bid then your CPC will not go up. Everything is auctioned based but like I said if everything stays constant your CPC average wouldn't go up.

But if you are limiting your own search and would like to capture more. Raising your bid and capturing more search that has a higher bid to compete with others then you CPC average will go up.

For example. Let say you don't rank on the first page for "used car" at $1, but you rank 1 for term "used suv" for $1. If you raise your CPC to $2 your ranking for "used suv" will remain the same but you ranking for "used car" will also go up because you are willing to pay more. Therefore if you capture more search when raise your CPC then almost inherently your overall average will increase because you are capturing more terms that you couldn't before.

Hopefully I am getting at what you are asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes you are great! One last question. What if I was being shown on a position slot 5 for the amount of money I was paying. Now when i raised the price, is it possible that for the same crowd I would now be shown on higher spots, hence being charged more?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Absolutely. I typically like to be in spot 1-3 because that uses the site links that go with the account to their greatest potential. Increasing the CPC would play you in the running to show in higher spots based on what the competitors are bidding.

Are you part of an agency or small business?