AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What exactly are impressions and how do I make money with them?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm attempting to sign an agreement with an audio equipment company to promote their brand and products on my YouTube channel.  My channel isnt "famous" but it gets plenty of views.  

I went into my adwords account and setup a "test" video campaign in which I placed a simple text ad over one of my videos.  I set impressions to unlimited, $5.00 budget and I targeted my group.  Within 4 days I had 120+ impressions, 0 Website clicks. 

What does that mean? Are impressions driven by my channel content or the fact that I added an advertisement containing a brand name? 

I'm trying to get to the point where the company sees that my channel brings in views and they should pay me to promote their company on my videos.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What exactly are impressions and how do I make money with them?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Gary,

An impression is when your ad is shown. This means that your ad was shown 120+ times but it wasn't clicked on.

Although AdWords allows you to bid on CPM (cost per thousand impressions), we find it much more cost-effective to bid on CPC (cost per click) and it is how most people do it.

I'm not too sure if this answers your question and if not let me know.

Best of luck!

Rob

Re: What exactly are impressions and how do I make money with them?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Gary,

Are you perhaps confusing the subject with AdSense?

Only in a very round-about way do advertisers on AdWords make money from impressions. Because in theory an impression should lead to a click, and sufficient clicks to your website should lead to people carrying out your desired action, such as a request for services or purchase of products. Thereafter, the revenue from this action should be greater than the cost of your clicks on AdWords.

If you're thinking of AdSense however, this is when website owners (publishers) allow advertisers on the Google AdWords network to place ads on their site. The more impressions the ads on their site gets, the more clicks the ads will get, and then Google split the revenue from the click cost with the publisher, which is paid for by the advertiser.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+