AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

What does "New Keywords" mean in context to Quality Score?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've reading about Quality score, here:

https://support.google.com/partners/answer/2454010?hl=en&ref_topic=2795275

I'm confused about the term "New Keywords" in the "How Quality score works with new keywords" section. What does it exactly mean?

Does it mean - keywords that you are using first time in your AdWords account for an ad or keywords that are not in Google database i.e. no search volume etc.

Help requested!

Thanks,

Deepanshu Gahlaut

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Deepanshu G
January 2016

Re: What does "New Keywords" mean in context to Quality Scor

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Smiley Happy

Yes you are right, that will mean new keywords you have just added to your account that are yet to collect data or low search volume keywords.

All you really need to know is all "new" keywords are given a quality score of 6/10 until they gather enough data to be calculated as otherwise.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Deepanshu G
January 2016

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Smiley Happy

Yes you are right, that will mean new keywords you have just added to your account that are yet to collect data or low search volume keywords.

All you really need to know is all "new" keywords are given a quality score of 6/10 until they gather enough data to be calculated as otherwise.

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply! As we know, Quality score is based on historical performance about the keyword. So this historical performance relate to your AdWords accounts and respective ads, not to how it performs on other's account or Google search. It's only & only about your account. Am I right?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Deepanshu G;

There could be several scenarios:

At the bottom of the link you referred to it says:

>" So if you restructure your account, such as moving keywords to a new ad group, your Ad Rank and ad quality won’t change, even though the new ad group’s keywords might all initially have a Quality Score of 6. Learn more about ad quality.

And also: "But moving a keyword to a new ad group that has new ad text could change your Quality Score, because that can affect user experience.

https://support.google.com/partners/answer/2454010?hl=en&ref_topic=2795275

And, another scenario (when the change was announced) :

The most significant part of the change is that keywords without traffic will now, by default, receive a score of 6, and Average for the three components of Quality Score. Once keywords gather enough impressions, scores will update about a day or so later.

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/posts/aw9kTjzGLcz

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for additional information!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes. That is exactly right. That keyword performance is based on your account, and any keyword you add starts a fresh, so to speak.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Abbie R;

>>"Yes. That is exactly right. That keyword performance is based on your account, and any keyword you add starts a fresh, so to speak.

I disagree. There could be scenarios in which keywords are moved between ad-groups or camapignsreset to QS=6.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
That is true. When keywords are also moved they reset again to collect new data within that ad group. But that wasn't really anything to do with the question regarding "new" keywords Smiley Happy